FreeCAD passes 13,000 commits

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

FreeCAD passes 13,000 commits

Post by Kunda1 »

13000-commits.png
13000-commits.png (6.37 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
139 contributors is not too shabby either :D
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD passes 13,000 commits

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 pm 139 contributors is not too shabby either :D
And that doesn't count the contributors to the documentation in the wiki!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 pm 139 contributors is not too shabby either :D
This seems impressive, but it is not the number of currently active contributors, rather the all-time count.

Looking at the Contributors page starting from the bottom up, we can see that about 50 haven't contributed in over 12 months.

49 made 10 commits or less. I'm not detrimental to their contributions, each contribution count (after all, a single commit is more than I've ever done ;) ).

I've counted about 35 contributors active in the past 6 months. That's based on looking at the graphs, so it might not be precise.

The point being, the total number of contributors over the life of the project (which is now 17 year-old) may not be a good way to judge its health.

One good thing, over the past month, 18 authors contributed, this is more than I would have thought (can be seen here, wish we could set a custom time period: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pulse/monthly)

BTW I found a git command that gives a list of contributors and the number of their commits:

Code: Select all

git shortlog -s -n
This tool gives a different number of contributors, 194 rather than 139. The number of commits for some users is also different, but I noticed some are displayed a few times, because their name changed. I wonder if it's because Github doesn't counts the commits when the Git repo was on Sourceforge.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I guess the problem with stats and milestones is once you reach:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24564

It's hard to go back to count in hundredths. :lol:
bestazy

Post by bestazy »

My congratulations guys, I just joined you. And I'm glad for your achievements.
How can I help you?Vote more maybe :)
"Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow."All the best.Bestazy.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

The best way you can help is to try to tackle something that interest you and learn along the way. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bestazy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 pm My congratulations guys, I just joined you. And I'm glad for your achievements.
Hi bestazy, welcome to the forum.
As we are short before a new stable release there sure has some documentation to be done or at least some proof reading if you are a native english speaker. Are you already familiar with the 0.17 version? Where are your interests? Which workbenches do you know?
Chris
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

bestazy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 pm My congratulations guys, I just joined you. And I'm glad for your achievements.
Just stick around and try to enjoy it, even if we argue sometimes :roll: Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint :)
triplus wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm The best way you can help is to try to tackle something that interest you and learn along the way. ;)
+1