Parametrical measure not run

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: Parametrical measure not run

Post by bejant »

MMSN, that Intel 945 chip set rings a bell with me; it's what I was using when I first started using FreeCAD and I had the same problem. My screen grab with the same problem is in the first post of this forum thread.

Unfortunately I was never able to get Constraint numerals in the 3D window to appear when using the on-board graphics and had to use a graphics card instead. You may not be able to do that with a laptop though...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello MMSN,

Unfortunately for you, the Intel 945 chipset is extremely old, and was never designed for intensive 3D CAD software such as FreeCAD, but rather for very basic desktop applications and Internet browsing.

And to be blunt, even when it was brand new, the 945 chipset was second-rate. As far as I know it's only in the recent years that Intel has been making decent graphics chipsets.

As bejant said, you won't be able to solve this, and this is no fault of FreeCAD.
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

jmaustpc wrote:To get the Help about FreeCAD data, you start FreeCAD, then go to the Part or PartDesign workbench, then go to the Help menu, about FreeCAD, click on the button that says copy to clip board, then just paste the data into this forum.
OK:
Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3389
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1
normandc wrote: As bejant said, you won't be able to solve this, and this is no fault of FreeCAD.
More Free Simple and Free functional better Free software and able for receive future support.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I have no idea what that was supposed to mean.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Drivers are hardware and O/S specific, it is possible to sometimes push some functions onto the CPU where the GPU can not implement it. This is usually painfully slow but that depends on the function. Since Intel has not updated the driver for 6 years, I would have doubts as to the quality of the driver.

It would be interesting to see if it works on your hardware under a current Linux distro. It is likely that you will find a far better experience in general with a Ubuntu variant on your hardware than Vista (which honestly was a dog from new).

I used to have a laptop with that gpu and it worked perfectly with FreeCAD on Linux but that was a long time ago, the laptop dies several years ago.

I can possibly find an old computer in my shed that may have a gpu old enough to show this problem, but we are talking about Pentium 4 vintage PCs. I could do this, but its a lot of work, would only be done with the latest Kubuntu Linux, (not Windows), I don't think its worth the effort for what is now very old hardware and for a bug that is not critical. This bug is annoying but is easily worked around, you just read the value of the constraint in the task view.
wmayer wrote:I guess that your driver lacks of the NPOT extension. We have seen this issue also for a couple of Windows XP systems. Some time back in the 0.14 development branch we implemented a workaround to solve this issue. So, it might be best to get one of the recent 0.14 versions to check if the issue is still there.
Is there any chance that what you are referring to requires a newer version of coin? Or something else? That Windows version was compiled with some rather old libs, at least not the latest versions of the libs.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Is there any chance that what you are referring to requires a newer version of coin? Or something else? That Windows version was compiled with some rather old libs, at least not the latest versions of the libs.
No, that's completely independent of any library versions. It's basically plain OpenGL stuff you can use to fix it: http://sourceforge.net/p/free-cad/code/ ... l.cpp#l879
MMSN

Re: Parametrical measure not run-Solved

Post by MMSN »

Problem solved with version 0.16. :D
Parametric measure is running
Parametric measure is running
Solved.JPG (122.59 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

Hi,
Suddenly, the issue appears again. Some idea what happens?. Right now in my Freecad 016
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Here is a screenshot.
Measures hidden in FC016.JPG
Measures hidden in FC016.JPG (146.85 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
Any help will be very appreciated!
Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You revived an old topic which is one and a half year old. It was solved by wmayer 4 years ago. So it's time for something new and you should check if this occurs in 0.17 as well. Nothing will be fixed in 0.16 anymore.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.17_pre
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 am You revived an old topic which is one and a half year old.
Yes, although MMSN created this topic in 2014 (more than 3 1/2 years ago), updated to 0.16 two years later, and apparently updating to 0.16 solved the problem back then. Now, for some reason the problem has resurfaced, so I wonder what has changed.

@MMSN, what 0.16 version did you have before, when upgrading to that version solved the problem?