CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Post by shaise »

bill wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 pm Since your there, shais, off-the-cuff, would it be difficult to tilt the view window slightly by a few degrees; it provides a much improved presentation at least in the axonometric view; from what I am viewing!
What do you mean by tilting the view? you can play with the view as you like while simulating.
bill

Post by bill »

shaise wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm you can play with the view as you like while simulating.
Yes, But it is twitchy to get it just right; to eliminate the pixelization-interference-pattern caused by multiple-object display (I think).

I have never messed with viewing manipulations, so I cannot technically be specific how to achieve this result.

I think it is a matter of rotating the z-axis a few degrees towards the viewer.

BTW,

Version: 0.17.12920 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
shaise

Post by shaise »

bill,

Sorry, perhaps I do not understand your request. The simulation does not set any viewing angle. Whichever the angle you tilted the view before the simulation, this is what you will see.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Is this last discussion only a misunderstanding? Bill, are you talking about the animated gif which Shaise provided? While Shaise was talking about the simulation of an arbitrary Job, where, of course, the user turns the model to his wishes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bill

Post by bill »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 pm only a misunderstanding
No
shaise wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm simulation does not set any viewing angle
Correct, it uses whatever view is set;
In my case, I use axonometric(0) since it seems to consistently yield a decent image.
Skewing by simulator is what i am looking for; check out the following images:
t1.png
t1.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
vs
t1tilted.png
t1tilted.png (14.66 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Same simulation snapshot, different skew; I beleive the latter is a superior display

The pause button doesnt work too well; does your code check or relinquish control after each line a path instruction or what?
Or is this just a QT condition.?
shaise

Post by shaise »

chrisb,

The animation was actually provided by bill...
shaise

Post by shaise »

Ok,

I spoke to guy who made the changes,

This is not his issue. To make the simulation work, just go to the tool and set the cutting angle to 180.

shai
toolsettings.jpg
toolsettings.jpg (53.22 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bill wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:04 pm Chris, let me know of changes you wish
Thanks bill, sorry for having overlooked your effort.
shaise wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 am To make the simulation work, just go to the tool and set the cutting angle to 180.
Thanks Shaise, that was the problem, it's now working like a charm. I will add this to the documentation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:57 amI will add this to the documentation.
Done.
shaise

Post by shaise »

chrisb,

Thank you for your effort. If you can, please add (in better english then me) that:
1. for interactive simulation, reducing accuracy to 0.3 works much faster
2. if you just want to see the end result, pressing the fast forward button makes it really fast even for complicated paths.