Difficulty Aligning Parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chris s

Difficulty Aligning Parts

Post by chris s »

I have created two shapes, one is a 45 deg pipe bend, made using sweep of two shapes then cut. Another is a trumpet (ram pipe) using a profile rotated around axis. The idea was to then align the trumpet to the 45 deg face by moving the trumpet to make one assembly . But I could not find a way to align them. I tried using Draft WB and expected to pick up the centres of each object but it will not display a circle centre to snap to. Can anyone explain my error? File attached.
Attachments
Ram 45.FCStd
(14 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Difficulty Aligning Parts

Post by easyw-fc »

chris s wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 pm I have created two shapes, one is a 45 deg pipe bend, made using sweep of two shapes then cut. Another is a trumpet (ram pipe) using a profile rotated around axis. The idea was to then align the trumpet to the 45 deg face by moving the trumpet to make one assembly . But I could not find a way to align them. I tried using Draft WB and expected to pick up the centres of each object but it will not display a circle centre to snap to. Can anyone explain my error? File attached.
A very simple method is through the Manipulator WB: Align Tool

aligner.gif
aligner.gif (813.24 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
chris s

Post by chris s »

Thank you. I dont have that WB available on mine (0.16 R6706). But I would like to know why the draft move doesn't work in my application. I made an effort to learn it and it fell at the first fence so to speak. Disappointing, and not good for the ego!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

chris s wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 am Thank you. I dont have that WB available on mine (0.16 R6706). But I would like to know why the draft move doesn't work in my application. I made an effort to learn it and it fell at the first fence so to speak. Disappointing, and not good for the ego!
Please update your FC 0.16 to R6712 (which is the latest available with many fixes)
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

The Manipulator WB is an external WB which can be installed through the Addon-installer or by copying the WB to the Mod folder as usual, also in FC0.16

For Draft Move, I'm sorry I cannot help because I don't use it often.

Maurice
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

chris s wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 pm But I could not find a way to align them. I tried using Draft WB and expected to pick up the centres of each object but it will not display a circle centre to snap to. Can anyone explain my error?
No problem here using Draft WB > Move along with Snaps to move and center the flat face of either the ell or the ram pipe to the other. You might want to make sure you don't have Draft Snaps toggled off, and have only Center snap enabled. I'm using Ubuntu so I have to press the Alt key to Snap but don't know if that might apply to you.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Edit: Not what you asked but you can add the inner circle to Sketch and make the ell in one go, avoiding the need for Cut.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, Bejant already explained how the snap to center works, here you can see it in a video, I did it in wire frame mode so you can see that the snap works
phpBB [video]