Crash with Sweep

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Crash with Sweep

Post by NormandC »

In the "Зняток екрану з 2018-01-27 23-58-22.png" screenshot, you are trying to create a SubtractivePipe as first feature in a Body. A subtractive feature subtracts material, but there is none in the Body. Of course it cannot work.

Yellow icons = add material
Red icons = remove material
toughkrua

Post by toughkrua »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:58 pm In the "Зняток екрану з 2018-01-27 23-58-22.png" screenshot, you are trying to create a SubtractivePipe as first feature in a Body. A subtractive feature subtracts material, but there is none in the Body. Of course it cannot work.

Yellow icons = add material
Red icons = remove material
Ооо! Thank you! I am not so attentive. Sorry.
But I can not get such a result like sat of chrisb. Please, can anybody explain it issue for me?
If I try create additivepipe even with Frenet orientation mode i get an error and nothing is created.
Attachments
2018-02-03 14-47-53.png
2018-02-03 14-47-53.png (165.92 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
2018-02-03 14-47-38.png
2018-02-03 14-47-38.png (142.21 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please make sure you don't have self intersections between two layers of the sweep. For further help please upload your file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

This looks like a 0.16 file migrated to 0.17, with such Body names as "Revolution001Body", "Revolution002Body". The migration process might be one of the causes of your problem. As chrisb replied, please provide the FreeCAD file.
toughkrua

Post by toughkrua »

NormandC wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:42 pm This looks like a 0.16 file migrated to 0.17, with such Body names as "Revolution001Body", "Revolution002Body". The migration process might be one of the causes of your problem. As chrisb replied, please provide the FreeCAD file.
Yes, the file was migrated. I create new one 0.17v, the result is the same. Both files are attached.
Attachments
helix-BSpline.fcstd
(68.93 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
break-MainPiston.v2.fcstd
(46.36 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by toughkrua on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb already told you what to look for:
chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm Please make sure you don't have self intersections between two layers of the sweep.
And that's exactly the problem in both your files.
FC_toughkrua_helix_01.png
FC_toughkrua_helix_01.png (7.46 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
We can clearly see that the section will intersect itself when it's swept along the path. This is not allowed, because it cannot create a valid manifold solid.

EDIT: even when reducing the circle sketch to a minimum size that won't self-intersect, I get a hard crash when trying to create a Part Sweep. It seems like it does not like your B-spline at all.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Okay, here's how not to have FreeCAD crash:
  1. Make sure the circle radius is smaller than half the pitch of the helix at the base.
  2. Check both "Create solid" and "Frenet".
toughkrua

Post by toughkrua »

1. Sorry, the file "prictice" created in version of FreeCAD 0.16. I replaced it in my previous post to "helix-BSpline" which created in v0.17.
2. When I test sweep tools, diameter of pattern in sketch for sweep is adapted to configuration of helix (BSpline), I set diameter to 0,15.

3. By my result:
I create helix by FCSpring macro which is BSpline. In some variations of the BSpline created by this macro "Utility to sweep" from "Part" tool causing either Input error "TCollection_InddexedDataMap::FindFromKey" or crach of FreeCAD if "Frenet" option is disable. Model which causing crash created in v0.16. Position of the sketch, which is revolved is set through "Base" section of object properties.
Behavior of the model the same for v0.17. (add file "error" with BSpline generated FCSpring which call error, file "crash" contain BSpline, which cause crash). With "Frenet" is enable, this tool worked whell even if the diameter of circle admits an intersection.
With this it is clear. It needs a message on bugtracker.

4 chrisb said that he got some results with sweep from "PartDesign". My attempts to repeat it are unsuccessful. Even more, I can not reach
the result with "sweep tool" when i use v0.17
a) If I create spring in v0.17 whith new body mechanism, "sweep tool" message error "Link go out of the allowed space" in result. (add file "v0.17")
b) Tool "Sweep a selected sketch..." say "TopoDS::Wire" (file v0.17")

In this regard, I have questions:
a) Is It some wrong in BSpline which generated by FCSpring macro?
b) How possible make any sweep ("sweep tool", or "sweep a selected cketch...") with such BSpline in v0.17?

PS in version 0,17 position of sketch setup by "Attachmen" section of ObjectProperties. When the file reopen sketch lost given orientations for some reasons.

Sorry, for my english.
Attachments
v0.17.fcstd
(68.88 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
error.fcstd
(30.41 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
crash.fcstd
(28.81 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by toughkrua on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We had recently a discussion about helix and FCSpring macro. I am bit short of time and cannot find it at the moment.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I found what I head in mind: :oops: It was in this very topic, just one week ago.