Question/suggestion..

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
zbigg

Question/suggestion..

Post by zbigg »

Hello,

Just noticed after some work in Blender that Freecad might actually have-why not))-some similar feature that Blender has.
When entering a value/parameter into object parameter field-left hand bar- one should either enter the number or move mouse scroll wheel to increase/decrease it. In Blender you can also place mouse cursor within the filed and move the mouse left/right to alter the value. Thats one thing.

And another issue: why the graphicall object being edited in a numerical field /eg. wall parameters/ can not be altered real time in 3D window?
This is crucial for fast, effective modelling.
cheers,
triplus
Veteran

Re: Question/suggestion..

Post by triplus »

Hi @zbigg and welcome.
zbigg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm Just noticed after some work in Blender that Freecad might actually have-why not))-some similar feature that Blender has.
When entering a value/parameter into object parameter field-left hand bar- one should either enter the number or move mouse scroll wheel to increase/decrease it.
You can use mouse scroll wheel to change the value.
In Blender you can also place mouse cursor within the filed and move the mouse left/right to alter the value.
FreeCAD uses Qt toolkit and more or less the standard behavior it provides for widgets. Custom behavior (like the one you described) would likely be possible to implement. But i could imagine motivation to do that is low.
And another issue: why the graphicall object being edited in a numerical field /eg. wall parameters/ can not be altered real time in 3D window?
This is crucial for fast, effective modelling.
Historically there wasn't much development and i guess interest in this area. Likely due to the fact FreeCAD and Blender are a different thing. In Blender it would be hard to imagine changing meshes with parameters. On the other hand in FreeCAD it's all about changing parameters to change the geometry. In the future likely users will be able to interact with geometry directly in 3D View. And by doing that change the underlying parameters. With the advancements of surface related capabilities in FreeCAD there will for sure be more demand for that. But for now this wasn't a crucial part of FreeCAD workflow. In addition FreeCAD developers don't have such close relation with FreeCAD viewport ATM. Compared to Blender developers. We use Coin3D and the capabilities it provides. In Blender everything is/was custom made and they invest much more effort in this area. For example they develop things like Eevee viewport. It is unrealistic to expect FreeCAD developers would do something like that anytime soon.
zbigg

Post by zbigg »

Thanks for reply.
As to data input seems acceptable for now but lack of real time 3D update during parameter input is a bigger issue.
If FC is to be aimed at real work, not exclusively a fun&hobby then real time update for efficient work, as you input changes is necessary.
Suppose its not my personal oppinion only.

Anyway: Making arch. 3D model, even BIM eventually does not make much sense if you can produce FASTER all the plans/layouts in regular 2D eg.Draftsight app and extract all necessary data with eg.attributes or another data link(eg odbc).
Therefore I repeat my question: FC aimed at pro work or hobbystic use?

And one more question, maybe a stupid one )):
Just trying to select whole polyline to construct a wall on it-why cant I just drag a window selection with a mouse around it ?!

cheers,
Last edited by zbigg on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cheers,
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

zbigg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:49 pm Just trying to select whole polyline to construct a wall on it-why cant I just drag a window selection with a mouse around it ?!
Edit>Box selection or shift-B.
zbigg

Post by zbigg »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:19 pm Edit>Box selection or shift-B.
oh yeah. It zooms that window, not selects whats inside...
cheers,
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

zbigg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:49 pm Thanks for reply.
You're welcome.
As to data input seems acceptable for now but lack of real time 3D update during parameter input is a bigger issue.
3D View does get updated in real time and whenever changing parameters.
FC aimed at pro work or hobbystic use?
Both.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

zbigg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:44 pm oh yeah. It zooms that window, not selects whats inside...
Here it selects what's inside the box. Maybe somebody has appropriated the shortcut (shift-B). Does it still zoom if you use Edit>Box selection?
phpBB [video]

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13208 +2 (Git)
Build type: debug
Branch: Fixes
Hash: ebf33403e6562d38f4ef9ead75cdef20cf1a6f65
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
zbigg

Post by zbigg »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:25 pm
zbigg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:44 pm oh yeah. It zooms that window, not selects whats inside...
Here it selects what's inside the box. Maybe somebody has appropriated the shortcut (shift-B). Does it still zoom if you use Edit>Box selection?
phpBB [video]
Thanks for reply.
Nope. Though CTRL+B described as window select actually zooms that window.
cheers,
zbigg

Post by zbigg »

Sorry, my fault. :oops:
Took sth by heart/habit from Blender/ instead checking it twice.
I did CTRL+B instead Shift+B.
CTRL+B zooms window, Shift+B selects whats in window.

cheers, :lol:
cheers,