Disappearing face after cut of two objects

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dyleks

Disappearing face after cut of two objects

Post by dyleks »

Dear Freecad Community,
I have an issue with "Make a cut with two shapes".
I want to create coupler D25L30 5mm to 10mm and figure is almost done. I just need to cut sweeped helix with finished cylinder,
but after this operation outer shape is disappearing.
Please find attached image before cut operation Helix.png and after operation Output.png
In addition I am attaching whole project.

Regarding version of Freecad the project was created with latest Freecad 0.16 but then I have downloaded and compiled latest version from github 0.17 13280 (Git) but the issue is the same.
I am using unix version under Debian Stretch

Thank you in advance for any help.
Attachments
coupler_5_to_10mm.FCStd
(196.86 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Output.png
Output.png (21.83 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Helix.png
Helix.png (25.48 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Willem
Veteran

Re: Disappearing face after cut of two objects

Post by Willem »

Hi Dyleks, welcome to the forum,
For your first design I think this is a very good start.
The problem of cutting the sweep from Cut004 is as we call it a coplanar problem.
Sketch002 what is the base of the sweep is on the cutline in cut004.
Rotate sketch002 19degrees to the start of the helix and you get a valid Cut005
Schermafdruk van 2018-02-12 23-00-27.png
Schermafdruk van 2018-02-12 23-00-27.png (236.46 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
dyleks

Post by dyleks »

Hi Willem,
thank you for you fast and clear answer.
Now I understand it worked awesome !
dyleks

Post by dyleks »

Unfortunately I have again the same issue :/
I tried to create the same part from the beginning in Freecad 0.17 with this new features but I have still the same error, and I cannot findout where is this issue with "coplanar problem". Is there any possibility to highlight this issue or how to debug it ?

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
BR_5x10_D25L30.fcstd
(233.67 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, perhaps this video give you some help on the technique to rotate the sketch.
phpBB [video]
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

dyleks wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 pm Is there any possibility to highlight this issue or how to debug it ?
Hello dyleks, can you post the full "About FreeCAD" info as explained here: http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
The OCCT/oce version is very relevant. It won't change anything but recent versions of the geometry kernal offer some improvements. And future versions promise more improvements.
"fight the good fight"
dyleks

Post by dyleks »

Dear Willem,
I do know how to rotate sketch :) and in newly attached file you can see that the base of the sweep is not on the the cutline anymore but it still do not work properly. I have also rotated base points of cylinder but it do not help neither :/
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, I did not download yesterday your second Freecad drawing, now I did.

You made a helix and in a body you made a sketch and a shapebinder to the helix. This is a correct way of working . Next you did a sweep in the part workbench. This is not good. In the dependency graph the lines for this sweep are red as a warning. You should use the additive pipe function in the part design workbench for making a sweep.

If you want to use the sweep function in the part workbench it is better to make a sketch in the sketcher workbench and not in the part design workbench

The cylinder is built without using the part design workbench and is not in a body. My advice is to rebuilt it in a body. In that case the subtracting pipe function can be used for cutting material from the cylinder.

Here a video about using the additive pipe function, but again I strongly recommend you to built the cylinder also in the part design workbench
phpBB [video]
dyleks

Post by dyleks »

Sorry for bothering again, but I tried every step by step as it is on your last video and it do not work for me. The result is the same :(
If you are so kind please look to attached file it just need to do cut, all previous steps are already done. The dependency graph looks like yours on video. Maybe there is an issue with version I am using ?? (from github 0.17 13280)
Attachments
BR_5x10_D25L30.fcstd
(410.33 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

dyleks wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 pm Maybe there is an issue with version I am using ?? (from github 0.17 13280)
No, the issue is that you do not understand the new 0.17 work flow. You should not use Part Booleans on separate Bodies if your intent is to have one single solid part. Everything can be done in one single Body, with only PartDesign features.

Sorry but I'm short on time and cannot detail further.