GeoDataWB not working in Mac OS X

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
M-Rick

GeoDataWB not working in Mac OS X

Post by M-Rick »

I am still trying to figure out how to be able to use the GeoData WorkBench in Macos. Each time I try to import OSM data, I get a Python error, no module named cv2.
I installed OpenCV in my local Python installation, but the error is still happening.

Since GeoDataWB is now part of the official release of Freecad v17, wouldn't it be simpler to install all the Python libraries required for the release? Such as including OpenCV in FreeCAD Python distribution.

Or, maybe a way to override the FreeCAD Python path, like done in QGIS in the application settings.

In QGIS, I setted up an Anaconda environment specific to QGIS, unloaded by the system, and since this time I never get Python errors anymore.
looo
Veteran

Re: GeoDataWB not working in Mac OS X

Post by looo »

In QGIS, I setted up an Anaconda environment specific to QGIS, unloaded by the system, and since this time I never get Python errors anymore.
For windows and linux there are some conda binaries for FreeCAD. Maybe you can find someone who is able to create conda-packages for mac. I think this wouldn't be too much effort as the recipes should be nearly the same as the linux-recipes.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

M-Rick wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:15 pm I am still trying to figure out how to be able to use the GeoData WorkBench in Macos. Each time I try to import OSM data, I get a Python error, no module named cv2.
Which version do you use Qt4 or Qt5? FreeCAD info? Pointer to OSM data, so we reproduce?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
M-Rick

Post by M-Rick »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm
M-Rick wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:15 pm I am still trying to figure out how to be able to use the GeoData WorkBench in Macos. Each time I try to import OSM data, I get a Python error, no module named cv2.
Which version do you use Qt4 or Qt5? FreeCAD info? Pointer to OSM data, so we reproduce?
I use the QT5 version.

Switching to the workbench get errors. Then when using any of the available options doesn't.

Code: Select all

--------------ERROR loading reconstruction workbench ---------------------
Arch workbench activated
Arch workbench deactivated
run import ...
Running the Python command 'Import OSM Map' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 165, in Activated
  File "/Users/aymeric/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/geodat/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
    import geodat.import_aster
  File "/Users/aymeric/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/geodat/import_aster.py", line 23, in <module>
    import geodat.geodat_lib
  File "/Users/aymeric/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/geodat/geodat_lib.py", line 11, in <module>
    import cv2

No module named cv2run import ...
Running the Python command 'Import CSV' failed:
  File "<string>", line 64, in Activated
  File "/Users/aymeric/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/geodat/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
  File "/Users/aymeric/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/geodat/import_aster.py", line 23, in <module>
    import geodat.geodat_lib
  File "/Users/aymeric/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/geodat/geodat_lib.py", line 11, in <module>
    import cv2

Running the Python command 'Import GPX' failed:
  File "<string>", line 113, in Activated
    import geodat.geodat_lib
    import cv2

Running the Python command 'Import Heights' failed:
  File "<string>", line 183, in Activated
    import geodat.geodat_lib
    import cv2

No module named cv2
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

M-Rick wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:15 pm Since GeoDataWB is now part of the official release of Freecad v17, wouldn't it be simpler to install all the Python libraries required for the release?
I just installed a fresh version (see below), but I cannot see the GeoData workbench in this release. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding: The Workbenches available in the Addon Manager are not part of the official release, they are third party addons.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13303 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at b47e011)
Hash: b47e011c1cc6357fa776624d371ed434989c79b1
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
M-Rick

Post by M-Rick »

On MacOS X, the geotools are provided by KyngChaos who is the leed developper of the MacOS version of QGIS.
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/qgis

It installs GDAL, SQLITE with Spatialite, GEOS, Proj frameworks packages and the specific Pythons modules packages used by QGIS, NumPy, SciPy, PIL, Matplotlib, psycopg2, RPy2 and PySAL.

The problem is FreeCAD GeoData tools are using OpenCV. OpenCV can be run that's not the problem, it is even necessary to run some QGIS extensions.
But MacOS uses several Python paths and the GeoData workbench uses the python installation included inside the FreeCAD application itself. On the other platforms, Python isn't included with FreeCAD, it is necessary to install additional libraries.

I made a try on Wine with the Windows version. FreeCAD installed right out of the box and then the workbench just run as expected without any additional tricks.
Capture d’écran 2018-05-13 à 16.06.33.png
Capture d’écran 2018-05-13 à 16.06.33.png (144.25 KiB) Viewed 2261 times

I tried to modify the files included in the workbench but I got errors all the time because the Python modules weren't able to know which module was referring to.

That’s not big deal for now because the GeoData workbench has limited use for now. But maybe it will be necessary to think in the future how to organise the external Python modules for the additional workbenches, or to add other Python modules directly in the basic FreeCAD installation.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

microelly2 wrote:ping
Hopefully @microelly2 can participate in this discussion
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

I will add a configurable sys path extension to the workbench. this should solve the prblem.
M-Rick

Post by M-Rick »

Great 👍
TimN

Post by TimN »

Hey Guys,

I just started into FreeCAD and I'm also on Mac OS, using v17.
I'm not that big in python but developed a basic understanding of where and how to look for.
I encountered the same problems as described here before, so I'm curious about how to solve the Problem.
@microelly2 - is there already anywhere in FC the configurable sys path extension you were writing of? I haven't found this jet, nor any other solution.

Would be great to get some update of this topic, or figure out if I should rather try the "wine way", as I couldn't find any other workaround.

Best regards,
Tim