Whiteboard for v0.18

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Whiteboard for v0.18

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

I guess I was too late with my topic. Sorry about it.

There is one more feature request / wish, a 3d bspline curve tool editable like discussed in this thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 96#p204896
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:20 pm Great to have this thread for wishes and requests. Here are some wishes from me.

Sketcher workbench:
1. A Text-tool for to place, scale, rotate, define and dimension text. Different font types has to be found by the system like in Inkscape, Libreoffice or other software, that the user does not need to find the path on his own on his computer.
2. Use-edge tool. It's a bit similar to the external edge refence tool, but if you choose an edge it's not needed to redraw it. Combined with a clever edge finding tool (all tangent edges gives a edge chain).
3. Use-edge with offset, the same thing as two, but with an offset in minus or plus or both direction.

PartDesign
1. A shapebinder with two different options, first use absolute coordinate position, second use the actual position like chrisb wrote here:
chrisb wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 pm Let ShapeBinder be aware of the placement of Part; at least as an option.
2. A mix between solids and faces / shells inside a body. Have a look at the Solidworks vid with the Tide bottle. It starts with curves, then faces, shell and at the end it results into a solid with thickness.
So part extrude has to include into the partdesign workbench, as well as ruled surface. For sweep and loft I wish to have the possibility to chose between solid or shell, like in the part workbench.
3. It must be possible to start a project in a body and the first features are not connected. For example a engine block. So that you have the freedom to start at different positions in the 3d area, and at the end it results in a single coherent solid. Or for example a table made out of one piece, but you start your design with the four legs.
4. Integrate the part shapebuilder fully parametric into the part-workbench
5. Thin object, later you type in a wallthickness in minus or plus or both directions and a depht. Imaigne you draw just a u shape in the sketcher.
6. Variable fillet / radius with three or more radius points. The points are moveable.
7. Full round fillet. It determines the max. possible radius between two edges and creates it.

Set colors, please add the possibility to set one or more faces transparency.

Improved selection tools for faces or edges behind a shape. Multi selection for curves / edges with recognice tangency. Box select tool for faces that see the faces in front and suspend faces behind.
The improved selection tools recognize tangent edges, the result is a edge chain. Or you select one edge in the middle, one start and one end and all inner edges will be selected, same with faces, one in the middle and some boundary and inside faces will be selected.

A extend tool for extend (stretch) one or more edges / curves and faces along direction as well as tangent in normal direction.

That's all for today.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 am I guess I was too late with my topic. Sorry about it.
There are several new topics now. You should probably post your input there.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:21 am How should we continue with further requests like the two posts after you published the excel sheet. Should the authors distribute their requests to the various v0.18 threads?
Usually ideas proposed after the clumping get tabled for later discussion, unless they are jaw-droppers.

I'll update the base spreadsheet with new ideas so the don't get lost, but I don't plan to repeat the sorting and grouping exercise.

Mentioning additional ideas in the threads is probably a good idea, too.

What we're really trying to do now is figure out where to allocate our scarce resources. What work in what area will give us the best return.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Just for completeness, here is the s/s with the last few submissions added.
Attachments
whiteboard.xls
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
efyx

Post by efyx »

I'll post some more features - but some usefull stuff:
- turn on spacemouse steering in techdraw (zooming, panning)
- hole table in techdraw
- multi-shape sketch extrude with selection of areas
- operating from RMB like accept, decline (enter/escape everything/ all operations)
- detail view in techdraw
- welding symbols creator techdraw
- intelligent dimensions techdraw
- screen ajust to first dimension - sketcher. This is very usefull thing and seems easy to implement. After sketching shape, when first dimension is added it doesn't matter if it is 10mm or 1000mm the line still the same and fitted in screen. Rest is proportial to first dimension.
- I really don't like that first you need to select edges/point and then choose utility. It makes that one utility isn't turn on until "esc" button. That makes each time, moving mouse very not ergonomic. It could be in plus, when you would have some fast steering under RMB or appearing immediatly after selection (what to do next).
- auto arrangement of dimensions techdraw
- split by sketch - part
- sketch 3d (SIC!)
- dynamic joints to existing parts - sketcher
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

a couple of quick notes
efyx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 am - detail view in techdraw
This already exists. :)
efyx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 am - intelligent dimensions techdraw
If you mean that they automatically update if the original object is change, then that also already exists. :)
efyx

Post by efyx »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 pm This already exists. :)
Yes, but this is not 100% finished I believe. No region (cicle or other shape) shown on parent drawing - so request is still valid ;).
jmaustpc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 pm If you mean that they automatically update if the original object is change, then that also already exists. :)
No. I meant something like this: https://youtu.be/WEkF8oINyKY?t=10m45s this speeds up dimensioning.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efyx wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 pm Yes, but this is not 100% finished I believe. No region (cicle or other shape) shown on parent drawing - so request is still valid ;).
You should have a highlight on the parent drawing. If you don't, try "wiggling" the parent with the mouse.
DetailHighlight.png
DetailHighlight.png (15.26 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
If that doesn't help, send me a sample file.
efyx

Post by efyx »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 am If that doesn't help, send me a sample file.
Nope. Doesn't work. File attached.
Attachments
test_TechDraw.FCStd
(27.83 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efyx wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 am Nope. Doesn't work. File attached.
Works fine here. Check your line weights??
efyx_DetailHighLight.png
efyx_DetailHighLight.png (8.21 KiB) Viewed 1802 times