Manipulator WorkBench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Manipulator WorkBench

Post by easyw-fc »

HoWil wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 pm Hi @HoWill,
good to know you made it :D
M
Just because I am curious: Would it be possible with use manipulator wb for such task or is draft-move the only chance? This would help because one would have to switch wbs once less.
HoWil
It can be done if you use a cube instead of a point as reference... Aligner tool is working with planes and edges, not points atm...
compound2.FCStd
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
aligning.gif
aligning.gif (518.49 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 pm It can be done if you use a cube instead of a point as reference... Aligner tool is working with planes and edges, not points atm...
Thx for the explanation.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

HoWil wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 pm This would help because one would have to switch wbs once less.
Why don't you create a custom toolbar? Place it in "Global" to have it show in all workbenches.

Customize Toolbars
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:37 am
HoWil wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 pm This would help because one would have to switch wbs once less.
Why don't you create a custom toolbar? Place it in "Global" to have it show in all workbenches.

Customize Toolbars
You are absolutely right Normand. I somehow 'expected' the Manipulator-wb to have a similar functionality :roll: but now I know that it does not.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

HoWil wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm I somehow 'expected' the Manipulator-wb to have a similar functionality :roll: but now I know that it does not.
It shouldn't too hard to add Points support to Aligner... give me some time and I will see what I can do :)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

The way i see it.

Having a workbench with useful commands in it is a nice start. Having a set of not too complex commands. Likely much easier concept to grasp by potential end users. As different users use different commands from different workbenches. Having global toolbars in different workbenches would easily result in too much toolbars. ;) Hence customization. Customize Toolbars, ShortCuts, CommandPanel, PieMenu ... should hopefully make customization a bit more streamlined.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Manipulator WB useful update...

Recently I've added some new features/fixes.

Please update the Manipulator WB with 'Tools' 'Addon manager' menu.

The wiki page has moved to:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manipulator_Workbench

BR :D
Maurice
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Incremental step spin box added :D
Up, Down key -> 1*step increment
PageUp, PageDown key -> 10*step increment

step-increment.gif
step-increment.gif (622.52 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
bill

Post by bill »

Just checked-out Manipulator WB for first time; NICE! :D

Very nice AdHoc/On-The-Fly (displayed) dimensioning that was missing from WFeatWB.

Do you have any aspirations to achieve this type(shown below) of object MANIPULATION? This is one of FreeCADs missing links IMO!

People have been begging for this type of tool as long as I have been on the forum; and I am sure for longer then that.
Ever since Apple and Microsoft "BORROWED" this UI style/technique from XEROX PARC, It seems every other CAD-like App (heeks, rhino, autocad.......), Drawing(MacWord, msWord........), illustration (Adobe, Inkscape, LibreDraw.........), Wordprocessing, etc. tool has had THEM forever......but not FreeCAD.

If you could do this, I would certainly nomimate you as Emperor of FreeCAD!
ObjHandles.gif
ObjHandles.gif (415.97 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bill wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:45 pm If you could do this, I would certainly nomimate you as Emperor of FreeCAD!
It's now actually possible to achieve that. But more developers would need to be more interested to add support:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=21808
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 05#p223994