Recommended Books?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ezzieyguywuf

Recommended Books?

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

I find myself more and more interested in learning about solid modeling techniques in general and boundary representation techniques specifically. I've been able to learn a bit via Google searches, but at this point I think I'm in need of some sort of textbook.

Can you all offer any recommendations? are there any de facto standards?
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Recommended Books?

Post by sliptonic »

Good topic!

I know you're not asking about programming books but I'll take the opportunity anyway. I found this book to be excellent. Writing Idiomatic Python
gAdlike

Post by gAdlike »

In my opinion, it is necessary to split books into two groups (at least):

CAGD - Computer aided geometric design. This category covers geometric basics, types of curves and surfaces.
1) the NURBS Book (Les Piegl, Wayne Tiller) - the comprehensive description of the B-Splines, the main type of free-form surfaces in CAD field.
2) Curves and surfaces for CAGD (Gerald Farin) - this book contains various types of geometric objects which can be used in CAD.

CAD - Computer-aided design. This section covers boundary representation schemes, design paradigms, and implementation hints.
1) Introduction to solid modeling (Martti Mantyla) - good book for a newcomer. It contains an explanation why we use solid modeling, comparison with other modeling techniques, requirements to the modeling process.
2) Solid modeling and CAD Systems - how to survive a CAD System (Ian Stroud, Hidelgarde Nagy) - modeling algorithms and data structures, Data exchange in CAD world, assemblies
3) Boundary Representation modeling techniques (Ian Stroud) - the same to above.
4) Parametric and Feature-based CAD/CAM: Concepts, techniques, and applications (Jami J Shah, Martti Mantyla) - this book is devoted to the parametric modeling using "feature" concept. As far as I know, FreeCAD utilizes this approach for modeling.

I can expand this list if needed :)
Jamesjardin247

Post by Jamesjardin247 »

any books for the rookies??
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jamesjardin247 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:04 am any books for the rookies??
There is the FreeCAD manual, which is available online and as ebook or pdf. Some translations are available as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

gAdlike wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:12 am In my opinion, it is necessary to split books into two groups (at least):

CAGD - Computer aided geometric design. This category covers geometric basics, types of curves and surfaces.
1) the NURBS Book (Les Piegl, Wayne Tiller) - the comprehensive description of the B-Splines, the main type of free-form surfaces in CAD field.
2) Curves and surfaces for CAGD (Gerald Farin) - this book contains various types of geometric objects which can be used in CAD.

CAD - Computer-aided design. This section covers boundary representation schemes, design paradigms, and implementation hints.
1) Introduction to solid modeling (Martti Mantyla) - good book for a newcomer. It contains an explanation why we use solid modeling, comparison with other modeling techniques, requirements to the modeling process.
2) Solid modeling and CAD Systems - how to survive a CAD System (Ian Stroud, Hidelgarde Nagy) - modeling algorithms and data structures, Data exchange in CAD world, assemblies
3) Boundary Representation modeling techniques (Ian Stroud) - the same to above.
4) Parametric and Feature-based CAD/CAM: Concepts, techniques, and applications (Jami J Shah, Martti Mantyla) - this book is devoted to the parametric modeling using "feature" concept. As far as I know, FreeCAD utilizes this approach for modeling.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll start with Ian Stroud, as that seems like it could be the most comprehensive.

Are you familiar at all with "Golovanov, Nikolay (2014). Geometric Modeling: The Mathematics of Shapes. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. ISBN 978-1497473195."? I see it referenced on the Wikipedia page for boundary representation (along with Ian Stroud and Martti Mantyla)
gAdlike

Post by gAdlike »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 am
gAdlike wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:12 am In my opinion, it is necessary to split books into two groups (at least):

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll start with Ian Stroud, as that seems like it could be the most comprehensive.

Are you familiar at all with "Golovanov, Nikolay (2014). Geometric Modeling: The Mathematics of Shapes. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. ISBN 978-1497473195."? I see it referenced on the Wikipedia page for boundary representation (along with Ian Stroud and Martti Mantyla)
Yes, I am familiar with this book. I have Russian edition (2011). This book should be considered from two points of view:
1) Set of recipes and algorithms. From this point of view, the book is good. It contains good coverage of typical geometric algorithms. Moreover, it is based on the real CAD kernel (C3D Kernel).
2) As a scientific book. From this point of view, the book is not good, it has only few references (~20 references - just compare refenreces list with Mantyla or Farin books), some important logical steps are skipped for many algorithms.
Nevertheless, it is the best book about CAD and geometric modeling in the Russian language.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

gAdlike wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:12 am Solid modeling and CAD Systems - how to survive a CAD System (Ian Stroud, Hidelgarde Nagy) - modeling algorithms and data structures, Data exchange in CAD world, assemblies
Out of curiosity I searched info on this book. Unfortunately it sells for more than $300USD, and that's the ebook version... :?

The 4th one is a little more affordable.
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

I stumbled across this thesis written by Kevin J. Weiler. I'm not done reading it (300+ pages!) but so far it has exactly the type of background and theory that I am looking for.

I decided to go to my local university to look at some of the textbooks we discussed, but they were all checked out :o
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

At least it has them!