Visibility in Part Design 0.17

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ulrich1a
Veteran

Visibility in Part Design 0.17

Post by ulrich1a »

I have just read the section of the Body Visibility Management. I think it can be confusing for a new user of FreeCAD and for me as an older user too, as I have not much experience with the new PartDesign. I think there must be a differentiation between features in the model tree and features visible in the 3D-view. In most designs all added features are visible in the product as seen in the 3D-view, because this is what we want to have. Only the model tree sets exclusively the last feature as visible as the last feature presents this feature on top of the whole history of the design process.

It could be helpful if there is a link to the dependency graph to show dependencies, which could cause a feature be not movable.

There may be wrong assumptions in my remarks, so I do not want to edit the wiki-page directly this time, but share my thoughts.

Ulrich

Edited by chrisb: The topic was split, the first part is in the wiki subforum titled PartDesign Next in wiki
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Next in wiki

Post by HarryGeier »

ulrich1a wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 pm I have just read the section of the Body Visibility Management. I think it can be confusing for a new user of FreeCAD and for me as an older user too, as I have not much experience with the new PartDesign. I think there must be a differentiation between features in the model tree and features visible in the 3D-view. In most designs all added features are visible in the product as seen in the 3D-view, because this is what we want to have. Only the model tree sets exclusively the last feature as visible as the last feature presents this feature on top of the whole history of the design process.

It could be helpful if there is a link to the dependency graph to show dependencies, which could cause a feature be not movable.

There may be wrong assumptions in my remarks, so I do not want to edit the wiki-page directly this time, but share my thoughts.

Ulrich
The english Version or my translation ?

i will read again myself...
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

i have read again both my translation and the english source.. Both understandable, if one has understood "Bodies" as such..

I will play a bit with the "Tip ( Spitze ) vs switching on/off features.
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

I played a bit and it´s quiet confusing if we undertand "visible" as visible to the eyes....

I tried with a simple construction i have . I will supply screenshots for the wiki to make this understandable a bit easier...

in words:

You have a construction where on a face at PAD5 , you create an new pad6, this one has a pocket7 perpendicular.

Now, select the same plane as PAD6 lies on...create new PAD8..going thru PAD6 and CROSSING the Pocket7.. what happens PAD6 fills the pocket7.

If you set the TIP to Pad5 , create the same PAD8 , and then switch tip back to pad8 .. the POCKET goes THRU PAD8...as it now is "visible" to POCKET 7

.. okay.. i make the screenshots .....
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

HarryGeier wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 pm i have read again both my translation and the english source.
Here comes a dumb one: I wanted to do some proof reading but could not find your german translation. Can you post a link?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

From the PartDesign Workbench page, scroll all the way down to the bottom. There's a language menu will all available languages. Click on Deutsch.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ulrich1a wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 pm I think there must be a differentiation between features in the model tree and features visible in the 3D-view. In most designs all added features are visible in the product as seen in the 3D-view, because this is what we want to have. Only the model tree sets exclusively the last feature as visible as the last feature presents this feature on top of the whole history of the design process.
Here's the rub: in most parametric CAD programs, this is true; but I don't believe it is the case with FreeCAD's PartDesign workbench. Maybe what I wrote is not clear enough, but the last feature in the tree is the culmination of all features before it, combined with the change added by the feature itself. Thus, I think it is really only the last feature which is visible in the 3D view; this seems to be confirmed by the Model tree, which shows all other features greyed out.

I tend to think that such a differentiation between the tree and the 3D view would actually be more confusing...

It is also why the Body container was so essential to PartDesign: up to now, we've had a gazillion forked models on the forum, because users would toggle the visibility of prior features. This is now prevented with the Body: only a single feature can be visible at a time (just try to make two visible!). Some others would enquire why there was "funny stuff" on the faces - the result of z-fighting caused by two or more features visible at the same time, sharing the same space.

But this is my interpretation... I just had a look inside a FCStd file I created in 0.17 for the PartDesign_Body page. brep shapes are saved in it for each operation: the wires created by the sketches, the solids formed by the wires (even for pockets), the result of the Boolean operation between the brep of a feature with the next. There is a total of 14 brep shapes inside the file.

Honestly, we need a developer who has extensive knowledge of PartDesign, like jriegel (unfortunately no longer active), or ickby (not available either) to answer definitely to that matter. Maybe somebody else? DeepSOIC?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 am From the PartDesign Workbench page, scroll all the way down to the bottom. There's a language menu will all available languages. Click on Deutsch.
Thank you. I had tried to select the language at the top, where we have another selector. That one leads to th eenglish version again.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 am I had tried to select the language at the top, where we have another selector.
If you're talking about the one at the very top, it's used to change the MediaWiki language interface, not the content.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

2018-03-09 07_22_40-Installing – FreeCAD Documentation - Slimjet.png
2018-03-09 07_22_40-Installing – FreeCAD Documentation - Slimjet.png (26.53 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
here you go.... assuming you are eligible to do that .. if not, i think normand can add you as an editor for the wiki ...