The worst to best 3D CAD systems and why

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mark Szlazak

The worst to best 3D CAD systems and why

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Thought i would post this opinion article ... by a CAD distributor ;) ... and get community feedback.
I just downloaded a trial version of IronCAD. I have not looked at or heard of ZW3D.
Like what i see so far with IronCAD and it maybe just like the author says.

http://www.tecnetinc.com/Worst%20to%20B ... %20-1.html
chrisb
Veteran

Re: THE WORST TO BEST 3D CAD SYSTEMS AND WHY

Post by chrisb »

Seems a bit biased. The worst thing I had heard before about catia was the price. And that is where FreeCAD comes into the play.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

FreeCAD.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Play around with the IronCAD interface. Good ideas to learn from. It is really fast to get things done. The Chinese firm ZW3D product i have not tried.
efyx

Post by efyx »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 pm Play around with the IronCAD interface. Good ideas to learn from. It is really fast to get things done. The Chinese firm ZW3D product i have not tried.
Agree. I have one. It is very elastic and fast. Solutions are unique - especially tribal, and modeling by dropping primitives (also cuts, you can also prepare your own cutouts or extrudes and save it in dictionary). Advantage over conventional CAD systems (like SW and Inventor) is that you build one model and then you can move objects freely to parts or assemblies, disadvantage (and some other minor) to SW is sheet metal - but it isn't worst at all. See some tutorials, it is really worth it.

Edit: Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GDPohHmNbo <-- all these loose parts you can in every moment put into assy on the same scene, or "explode" back into parts. Actually this is simillar to this what's going on in FreeCAD.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

efyx wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 am See some tutorials, it is really worth it.

Edit: Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GDPohHmNbo <--
this can be done with Manipulator WB
I don't have a similar model, otherwise I could post a screencast workflow
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

efyx wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 am
Mark Szlazak wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 pm Play around with the IronCAD interface. Good ideas to learn from. It is really fast to get things done. The Chinese firm ZW3D product i have not tried.
Agree. I have one. It is very elastic and fast. Solutions are unique - especially tribal, and modeling by dropping primitives (also cuts, you can also prepare your own cutouts or extrudes and save it in dictionary). Advantage over conventional CAD systems (like SW and Inventor) is that you build one model and then you can move objects freely to parts or assemblies, disadvantage (and some other minor) to SW is sheet metal - but it isn't worst at all. See some tutorials, it is really worth it.

Edit: Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GDPohHmNbo <-- all these loose parts you can in every moment put into assy on the same scene, or "explode" back into parts. Actually this is simillar to this what's going on in FreeCAD.
Yes! I have been looking at how that triball works in these tutorials. Very nice!
http://www.ironcad.com/training-course- ... g.html#p=1
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 pm Yes! I have been looking at how that triball works in these tutorials. Very nice!
Aligning and Moving Parts with Manipulator WB in FreeCAD

reox

Post by reox »

The worst thing about catia is getting french error messages, but your locale ist set to german and the only foreign language you know is english. Then you try to reproduce the error and catia crashes... And the interesting thing is: I'm not the only one who experienced that.
At least I had no french error messages in FreeCAD yet :D
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

"reseller of ZW3D and IronCAD says that ZW3D and IronCAD are the best" :roll: