Window does not cut hole in wall

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Dgingrey

Window does not cut hole in wall

Post by Dgingrey »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13452 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 34633c144de9133c1f9aeb7da783f369cae9bfaf
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I am having a problem when adding a window to a wall using the Arch + button.
After adding the window to the wall it fails to cut a hole in the wall.
Window No Hole.PNG
Window No Hole.PNG (80.41 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
To get the hole cut I have to select the window and then select the wall in the combo view and then press the Arch - button.
Then the window appears with the hole cut correctly in the wall but the window disappears from the combo view.
Window Removed Hole Formed.PNG
Window Removed Hole Formed.PNG (89.97 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
To get the window back into the combo view I have to select the window in the 3D view and then select the wall and press the Arch-
button again.
Window Removed 2nd time.PNG
Window Removed 2nd time.PNG (72.88 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
Now the window appears correctly in the wall in the 3D view and the wall and window are also in the combo view.
Is anyone else having this same problem.
yorik
Founder

Re: Window does not cut hole in wall

Post by yorik »

Thanks for notifying.. It is now fixed in git commit a4714ce77
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

mmmmm... I need a "windows with Arch+buttom" tutorial. I don't get it how to do it.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Basically if you insert a window directly on a wall, there is nothing to be done, it is done automatically for you. If you placed a window outside of any wall, and want to insert it later on, select the window(s), CTRL+select the wall (In Arch you always need to select the host last, so you can add several children to one parent, like Blender), then Arch Add (or Arch Remove, in case of windows, both do the same).

The effect of this is that the wall is added to the "Hosts" property of the window. You can do that manually too.

Recently I am more and more not binding windows to walls anymore, and instead I use a corresponding Part Cube as subtraction. I think it gives more control to have a "real" subtraction object. You can even make the cube adopt automatically the dimensions of the window...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:20 am
Recently I am more and more not binding windows to walls anymore, and instead I use a corresponding Part Cube as subtraction. I think it gives more control to have a "real" subtraction object. You can even make the cube adopt automatically the dimensions of the window...
Ok. Now I understand. Sometimes I draw a draft rectangle on a surface of a wall (selecting the face wall first) and then I transform the rectangle into a window. This cut a hole in the wall. Later I hide the window and then I have an opening in the wall. Not sure if this is ok instead of a more complex boolean operation.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Basically the window defines an invisible volume, which is built taking the biggest wire in the base shape of the window (sketch, draft rectangle, anything) and extrude in the normal direction of the window (given by its Normal property or calculated from the sketch plane otherwise), by the distance given by the HoleDepth property. When a wall is notified that it has a window (it is the window who "knows" that it is part of a wall, as it keeps the wall in its Hosts property), upon calculating its shape, it will subtract this invisible volume.

But this can also be done by hand, that is, have a window that is NOT inserted into a wall (its Hosts property doesn't contain the wall), it is just placed at the correct position "inside" the wall, and have another volume, that can be any shape, subtracted from the wall.

We grew used by major BIM applications to have windows "depend" on walls, but I'm wondering about the real need of this in real life... the IFC format, for example, makes a clear distinction between the wall opening (the "hole" needed to place the window) and the window itself.

I have the impression that it is much more useful, for example, to know to which space a window is related, than to which wall...
Dgingrey

Post by Dgingrey »

This now works for windows created version 0.17 but if I try to add a window created using version 0.16 to a wall in version 0.17 it fails.
The window does not show up as being a part of the wall in the combo view, nor does it cut a hole in the wall in the 3D view.
Added Window not in wall.PNG
Added Window not in wall.PNG (67.08 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ah indeed, that's because the 0.16 window doesn't have a "Hosts" property. you can fix that by selecting the window, and entering this in the python console:

Code: Select all

FreeCADGui.Selection.getSelection()[0].addProperty("App::PropertyLinkList","Hosts")
After that it should work like a 0.17 window
Dgingrey

Post by Dgingrey »

Are there any other properties the 0.17 window has that the 0.16 window doesn't that can be added in the same way?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:04 pm We grew used by major BIM applications to have windows "depend" on walls, but I'm wondering about the real need of this in real life... the IFC format, for example, makes a clear distinction between the wall opening (the "hole" needed to place the window) and the window itself.

I have the impression that it is much more useful, for example, to know to which space a window is related, than to which wall...
Hi, i think we can currently have both!
And the former is good to keep IMHO.
  1. Currently window-wall host can be established by either which objects store the host properties.
  2. And, as most Arch Object accept Add+ object without further action - that's is a Convenient 'Workaround' for me as I said, so no need to change it :) - I can then 'link' arbitrary sketch to a Window Object, 'link' ArchWindow to ArchSpace ...

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 19#p199555

So as I 'link' different Windows to an Arch Space, I can summarize a list of windows in a particular Room(ArchSpace) in a Spreadsheet.
Hope it helps.