Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
User avatar
kkremitzki
Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby kkremitzki » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm

Ah, great to hear news regarding 7.3.0! This was also nice to see:
The development of the new algorithm was supported by Sony Global Manufacturing & Operations Corporation.
:shock: That sounds like a good client to have. Good news for OPEN CASCADE SAS!
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Jee-Bee
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby Jee-Bee » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:50 pm

bernd wrote:ping...
This should be a great feature to use in FEM since holes and other small stuff making meshing far more difficult as needed!!
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby NormandC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 am

This kind of feature is a must have, commercial CAD programs have it. It is exciting news to learn it's coming to OCCT.

Very impressive! I'm hoping we can see this in action in FreeCAD at some point. :)

BTW is 7.3.0 still following schedule (04/27 planned release), or may it be delayed?
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby NormandC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:46 am

kkremitzki wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm
Ah, great to hear news regarding 7.3.0! This was also nice to see:
The development of the new algorithm was supported by Sony Global Manufacturing & Operations Corporation.
:shock: That sounds like a good client to have. Good news for OPEN CASCADE SAS!
That this company supported this development (financially or otherwise) and is willing to let other customers and the open source users benefit from it is also to be commended.
gAdlike
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:35 am

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby gAdlike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 am

NormandC wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 am
BTW is 7.3.0 still following schedule (04/27 planned release), or may it be delayed?
As far as I know, there are no changes in the release schedule. Unfortunately, it's quite usual that release should wait for integration of some fixes.
User avatar
Quaoar
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:56 am
Location: Nizhny Novgorod
Contact:

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby Quaoar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm

BTW, this face removal feature is available in the inspection utility (I have updated the first post for a valid link), so you can give it a try. Essentially, this is a global operation based on Booleans and face maximization. It should work fine for canonical geometry and parts of moderate size.

smart-face-removal.gif
smart-face-removal.gif (715.31 KiB) Viewed 327 times
FOSS CAD model inspection utility and prototyping framework: http://analysissitus.org
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5913
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby Kunda1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Quaoar wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm
BTW, this face removal feature is available in the inspection utility (I have updated the first post for a valid link), so you can give it a try. Essentially, this is a global operation based on Booleans and face maximization. It should work fine for canonical geometry and parts of moderate size.
This looks like the Defeaturing Workbench capability that is available and based on OCC7.3: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29506
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
User avatar
Quaoar
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:56 am
Location: Nizhny Novgorod
Contact:

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby Quaoar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 pm
Quaoar wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm
BTW, this face removal feature is available in the inspection utility (I have updated the first post for a valid link), so you can give it a try. Essentially, this is a global operation based on Booleans and face maximization. It should work fine for canonical geometry and parts of moderate size.
This looks like the Defeaturing Workbench capability that is available and based on OCC7.3: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29506
Sorry, did not know that this feature has already found its way to FC. Glad to know this!
FOSS CAD model inspection utility and prototyping framework: http://analysissitus.org
User avatar
easyw-fc
Posts: 2689
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby easyw-fc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 pm
This looks like the Defeaturing Workbench capability that is available and based on OCC7.3: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29506
the defeaturing improvements have been addressed by @Chris_G here
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 23#p241870
and included in Part standard WB
My Defeaturing WB is including these improvements too as python calls.
Quaoar wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm
Sorry, did not know that this feature has already found its way to FC. Glad to know this!
Thank you for your work in improving OCC.
User avatar
saso
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Utility to inspect OpenCascade models

Postby saso » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Quaoar wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm
ping
Would an issue like this be a good test case to improve OCCT? https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p261497

Also, would it be possible and make sense to bring Analysis Situs directly in to FreeCAD, as a workbench or add-on for example?