dressup minor issues

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JoshM

dressup minor issues

Post by JoshM »

I just ran an aluminum job and used Ramp dress-up on it. One thing that I noticed that surprised me was that the Ramp-Angle is specified relative to the Tool, not the Job, and so if I want to specify a Steep Ramp, I approach 0-Deg, and for a Shallow Ramp, I approach 90-Deg. This seems counter-intuitive to me.

I also mistakenly started to use a LeadInOut instead of a RampEntry dressup, and noticed it has a mispelled parameter: "Mashine CRC"

Best,
Josh
chrisb
Veteran

Re: dressup minor issues

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:46 pm One thing that I noticed that surprised me was that the Ramp-Angle is specified relative to the Tool, not the Job, and so if I want to specify a Steep Ramp, I approach 0-Deg, and for a Shallow Ramp, I approach 90-Deg. This seems counter-intuitive to me.
Is there a common way to define the ramp entry angle among different tool suppliers? Then Path should use it in the same way.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

I’m not sure. I picked up my bias from previous software, but it seemed counter-intuitive to me that 0-degrees should be the steepest ramp entry angle.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Chris,
chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:03 pm
Is there a common way to define the ramp entry angle among different tool suppliers?
[/quote]

I don't understand the question... What dos have the tool supplier to do with the ramp entry?
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:00 am I picked up my bias from previous software, but it seemed counter-intuitive to me that 0-degrees should be the steepest ramp entry angle.
I could argue that straight down is what you really want, so 0° is no deviation from the target. Let's see what the experts say.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Here a link which show's and explanes it very detailed:
https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/ ... Country=gb
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In an older forum post about ramping I found this link http://shop.lmt-tools.de/media/import/l ... lungen.pdf which supports your view: 0° means no ramping at all, 90° means going straight into the material.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Same with Coromant tools: https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/_layou ... 7&lt=false page I17, parameter RMPX.
There is another interesting general document from Coromant: Training Handbook - Metal Cutting Technology
bill

Post by bill »

This is a MAJOR minor issue.
JoshM wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:46 pm to specify a Steep Ramp, I approach 0-Deg, and for a Shallow Ramp, I approach 90-Deg. This seems counter-intuitive to me.
The RAMP, which is defined as an angle (alpha degrees - also commonly called the angle-of-attack) is chosen not to exceed the end-mill (tool) concave/dish/cutting edge profile; or whatever one calls this tool feature. This applies to dead-center tools (not cutting edge on center axis) which are most common.
from Sandvik:
alpha-angleofattack.jpg
alpha-angleofattack.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
This is why TABs Dress-Up is not as simple as one would believe. The approach to a tab is trivial-path, whereas exitting a tab is a little more complex and should be inversely-similar to the picture above.
polymer

Post by polymer »

The Tool-Library definitely needs two extra options: ramp angle and min. diameter for helical ramping.

Both depends from the geometry of the tool.