Geo Data and BIM

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hardeeprai

Geo Data and BIM

Post by hardeeprai »

Does it make sense to have a site prepared using GeoData workbench having a few roads, buildings from Open Street Map, and then export it as ifc?

I tried , but export failed.

If it is required for "BIM eco system", then what need to do, so that it can be achieved?

Do one need to work on Geo Data, or IfcOpenShell or some where else?
--
H.S.Rai
yorik
Founder

Re: Geo Data and BIM

Post by yorik »

Yes, definitely. I have a couple of ideas to integrate some stuff from GeoData into BIM already, still need to write that down. But yes, the plan would be to allow to use the GeoData tools on site creation, or even after that.
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

yorik wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:50 pm Yes, definitely. I have a couple of ideas to integrate some stuff from GeoData into BIM already, still need to write that down. But yes, the plan would be to allow to use the GeoData tools on site creation, or even after that.
That's great.

If you give me some pointers on how to do it, then I way try to contribute.

I mean what we need to do to make OSM downloaded objects as BIM objects to enable us to view in any BIM viewer, through IFC format.
--
H.S.Rai
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

That should not be to diffucault ... BTW I know off no CAD able downl oad OpenStreetMap objects and save them to IFC.

I really really like this idea!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Basically I think we need to define a plan. I would say:

- On site creation (and after that, with a site selected), one should be able to get terrain data from OpenStreetMap.
- The user should be able to enter an address and look up on a map
- Ideally the user should be able to define a rectangle (maybe graphically?)
- The user should be able to pick what info should be downloaded (terrain, streets, buildings, etc)
- There should be also a couple of options as how the objects should be placed in the FreeCAD document (position/orientation)
- Then everything is downloaded and objects are built in FreeCAD, and placed inside some structure (group? Compound?)

I think most of this already exists in geodata. The next step would be to see what is missing, and what is the best way to use geodata (directly or its python functions) to achieve the goal above. We also need to see what is possible in terms of picking stuff on a map (position, rectangle, etc)

*EDIT* this can return coordinates from an address: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

The osm elevation data are not always useable.
To use google maps data you need an account and the free access is limited.
So we switched to use other ressources - our last experiments were done with lidar files.
this is still the main problem. Depending on the country there are data sources for free or to pay.
My idea was to write a new import method whenever a new elevation data source format is discovered.
However there should be a common easy to use format to store the information inside FreeCAD. Because of the large amount of data this can be SQL Databes, GeoTIFF LIDAR, numpy arrays, .... From this FreeCAD internal terrain format we can write exporters to other formats like ifc.
The use of an external database (example mysql) and a communication interface would allow to store large amounts of data and read from that database only the required detail segments. See as an example the corridor of a 100 km railway. Zoom into a detail would require only to load a array of 1 km x 200 m
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@microelly2 you see already long into the future :)
I was thinking of starting simple, with the osm data you already have in geodata. Indeed in may areas there is no elevation data, but even so it could be useful in many cases.

Also, more and more cities have GIS data publicly available. But that's a scope beyond FreeCAD I think. Rather using a GIS app and export to something FreeCAD can use. I'll also experiment with that...
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

I have played some month ago with a noSQL database neo4j. This can be a data storage too. Because neo4j does not need a data model at the start it is open for development. The storage of geodata in a graph database is very intuitive.

phpBB [video]

the vidoe is in German but you can see the database and a possible interaction from freecad to the database app.
the opneflight database has the coordinates of many airports and so they can be queried and the terrain can be downloaded with geodat wb.
olof

Post by olof »

Would PostGIS provide a good data source? It is widely used in the GIS world and TIN (Triangular Irregular Networks - think of a triangular mesh) DEMs can be fetched/used from it depending on the original data source. Also there are already lots of tools to import data into PostGIS from various sources.
lalberts

Post by lalberts »

https://qgis.org/de/site/

what do they do?
lukas