BIM Workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: BIM Workbench

Post by yorik »

Raph82 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:07 pmThey describe themselves as a free BIM product and object download platform.
I had a quick look, they don't seem to actually have any object ready to download (or at least I couldn't find), maybe using one of their plugins... In any case nothing that seems of much interest to us right now. But let's keep an eye on it, it might evolve into something better.

Materials in FreeCAD have a lot of properties already. Just takes someone to create materials with all the properties filled. After the release I plan to work on a more decent material editor...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi, Yorik blog reads...

"This is a simple interface to manage the different levels (Floors currently) of your document. At the moment you can only do basic things such as changing their properties and add or remove levels, but the intent here is to add more dependent functionality to levels, like WP proxies, which would allow neat things like, upon double-clicking a level, hide all other levels, and set you in a configured view (for example a top view above the level plan). This would mimmick quite well how other BIM apps work, where you can isolate a particular level to only work in it."

This is a feature I almost want to experiment with my limited python knowledge + frankenstein way of combining WPproxy+ArchSectionPlane+CutView ....probably another experiment of weeks/months that a programmer done it in few tens of minutes :oops: Glad it is in a To-Do-List :)

The Level / Floor Object maybe the most wanted feature, currently it seems Bind to Vertical Axes, Define a Working Plane for Each Level... does not works. Hope to see something like - Level/Floor placement changes, objects in Level/Floor changes altogether...(My frankenstein way experiment is to use Axis + Expressionsss + Sketch/MapMode/ObjectXYZ, very unhandy!)

Thanks and hope to see more features!

Btw, there is error message after OK for the level manager, see screenshot.
Screenshot from 2018-04-03 07-23-25.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-03 07-23-25.png (169.24 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
Screenshot from 2018-04-03 07-24-00.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-03 07-24-00.png (174.79 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13483 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 0ac32464e45fa9648cdaf702ebda06650dabe9dc
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/HongKong (en_HK)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@paullee this error has been fixed already, 2 days ago I think.
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

yorik wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:12 pm This is the windows manager. I'm not totally happy with it yet, but the idea would be to have a general idea of the windows contained in your model, be able group them by tag independently of which one is a clone of which other one, etc.
"Window manager" looks confusing to me.

Following are a few suggestions:

1) Door & windows Manager
2) Joinery Manager
3) DnW Manager
--
H.S.Rai
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Forgive my ignorance but what is DnW?
*EDIT* Oh right, sorry, you mean the name of the tool. Yeah, windows and doors might be better indeed.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am There are two ways of operating the transform tool
1) Single click on arrow or sphere and move the mouse without any button pressed.
2) Click and keep the left mouse button pressed and move
No! '1)' is not how coin3d was designed to work. The fact that it works at all, is a bug in freecad.
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

yorik wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:40 pm Forgive my ignorance but what is DnW?
*EDIT* Oh right, sorry, you mean the name of the tool. Yeah, windows and doors might be better indeed.
Yes, I mean renaming of tool. I used "DnW" as short for Door and Windows, like PnP for Plug and Play.
--
H.S.Rai
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Hey, Yorik. is it FreeCAD ready to work with BIMServer?
Have you tried it?
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bitacovir wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 amHey, Yorik. is it FreeCAD ready to work with BIMServer? Have you tried it?
Yes, you must install the WebTools addon, there is a tool to communicate with a bimserver. But recent versions of bimserver for some reason don't work on my computer anymore, some weird java version compatibility issue that I was too lazy to investigate. So there is quite some time that I didn't test.

What you can do with it, basically is 1) connect to a bimserver, 2) download & open IFC files from it, and 3) export & upload IFC files to it. Doing some testing with this would be welcome! ;)
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 pm Yes, you must install the WebTools addon, there is a tool to communicate with a bimserver. But recent versions of bimserver for some reason don't work on my computer anymore, some weird java version compatibility issue that I was too lazy to investigate. So there is quite some time that I didn't test.

What you can do with it, basically is 1) connect to a bimserver, 2) download & open IFC files from it, and 3) export & upload IFC files to it. Doing some testing with this would be welcome! ;)
There is a https://bimserver.center/ service.
You can open a free acount with a 1GB to storage in this service.
There is also an API https://bimserver.center/bim_developers_api.asp
Unfortunately this service does not have an online viewer to check the integrity of a IFC file made with FreeCAD
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project