Request for Pad improvement

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
efyx

Request for Pad improvement

Post by efyx »

Please add thickness option. It means when I create open line for example L-shape I can Pad it with a thickness. Also auto fillets with predefinied radius should be possible. It is very usefull when you want create different profiles.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Request for Pad improvement

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

efyx wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:24 pm Please add thickness option. It means when I create open line for example L-shape I can Pad it with a thickness. Also auto fillets with predefinied radius should be possible. It is very usefull when you want create different profiles.
+1
Like a wall in the Arch workbench. Please thicknees minus, plus and symmetric.
arch_wall.gif
arch_wall.gif (59.04 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
And please add face / shell to pad and other PartDesign features, like extrude, revolve, loft and sweep in the Part workbench.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 am And please add face / shell to pad and other PartDesign features, like extrude, revolve, loft and sweep in the Part workbench.
I don't understand: extrude, revolve, loft and sweep are available in Part and Part Design (with slightly different names).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 am And please add face / shell to pad and other PartDesign features, like extrude, revolve, loft and sweep in the Part workbench.
I don't understand: extrude, revolve, loft and sweep are available in Part and Part Design (with slightly different names).
Loft and Sweep exists in PartDesign and Part and some other tools from other workbenches. So why not use faces as well in PD like most common CAD systems on the market?
polymer

Post by polymer »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 am
chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 pm
Loft and Sweep exists in PartDesign and Part and some other tools from other workbenches. So why not use faces as well in PD like most common CAD systems on the market?
+1

That is the real “part design”!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Ping.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 am So why not use faces as well in PD like most common CAD systems on the market?
ickby was open to allow creation of construction geometry in PD (I consider surfaces as construction geometry in the end goal of getting a solid). He did mention it on the forum.

Problem is, ickby already said he had no time to program for the foreseeable future. DeepSOIC doesn't either (or isn't interested). And nobody else seems interested in picking up PartDesign development. Apart from bug fixing, its development has stalled for almost a year.

So I'm afraid no amount of pinging or rehashing the same things will help change that.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

NormandC wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 am So why not use faces as well in PD like most common CAD systems on the market?
ickby was open to allow creation of construction geometry in PD (I consider surfaces as construction geometry in the end goal of getting a solid). He did mention it on the forum.

Problem is, ickby already said he had no time to program for the foreseeable future. DeepSOIC doesn't either (or isn't interested). And nobody else seems interested in picking up PartDesign development. Apart from bug fixing, its development has stalled for almost a year.

So I'm afraid no amount of pinging or rehashing the same things will help change that.
Thank you so much for your answer Normand.
What about to use the clone tool Dolly to clone ickby Stefan?
Four copy please. One for his job, one for his family, one for his house and garden and one for Freecad. :lol:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

It was tried, with not really good results...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2XDPI5664
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

NormandC wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 pm It was tried, with not really good results...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2XDPI5664
Ah, I see, seven would be fine, three for Freecad.