Another panel

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
a3bksll47

Another panel

Post by a3bksll47 »

I'm thinking another panel. That as a user I'd probably pull down into the bottom region of the screen and situate directly adjacent to the Python panel.

This new panel would run function commands typed in by the user like, say, "line" or "arc" or "extrude" or "move" or whatever. Depending on the context of the command, a short argument list could follow.

If the viewport is active, anything typed goes directly into that panel, unless otherwise specified in Edit!Preferences....

Any comments?
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: Another panel

Post by HarryGeier »

..years ago.. i would have yelled.. Yeah.. that is what lacks the windows GUI stuff.. meanwhile i have forgotten about Autocad and keyboard entry . I think most users nowadays do not want to type anything..or , if, then everything:python console..
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

a3bksll47 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:35 am I'm thinking another panel. That as a user I'd probably pull down into the bottom region of the screen and situate directly adjacent to the Python panel.

This new panel would run function commands typed in by the user like, say, "line" or "arc" or "extrude" or "move" or whatever. Depending on the context of the command, a short argument list could follow.

If the viewport is active, anything typed goes directly into that panel, unless otherwise specified in Edit!Preferences....

Any comments?
Like this? https://github.com/triplus/Launcher
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
a3bksll47

Post by a3bksll47 »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 am
a3bksll47 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:35 am I'm thinking another panel. That as a user I'd probably pull down into the bottom region of the screen and situate directly adjacent to the Python panel.

Any comments?
Like this? https://github.com/triplus/Launcher
Yes. Exactly. Except I'd shorten the commands.

I'll be using that. Is it ready?
a3bksll47

Post by a3bksll47 »

HarryGeier wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:42 am ..years ago.. i would have yelled.. Yeah.. that is what lacks the windows GUI stuff.. meanwhile i have forgotten about Autocad and keyboard entry . I think most users nowadays do not want to type anything..or , if, then everything:python console..
It's very much AutoCAD I have in mind.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

We discussed something like that not that long ago (from that thread point of view a bit off topic):

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 40#p214876

Basically you are asking the same question as @zbigg did. He would like to use shortcuts efficiently (as you) and have an alternative command line alike way to insert data/parameters. Instead of tasks panel. Likely this ain't going to happen anytime soon. But if somebody would try to implement such alternative input method and port the commands (or at least the ones that make sense) to support such additional input method. Feel free to do that.

P.S. Removing Tasks panel altogether would likely still be hard to achieve. As when for example entering Sketcher edit mode there is all sorts of control in the sidebar. And things like that. And you need to put all that somewhere.
a3bksll47

Post by a3bksll47 »

A release of Launcher is deprioritized for the foreseeable future? Or has it been released?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

a3bksll47 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm A release of Launcher is deprioritized for the foreseeable future? Or has it been released?
Launcher widget for FreeCAD has already been released and you can start using it now. Easiest method of installation is through Tools -> Addon manager (FreeCAD 0.17 and up). If you use FreeCAD 0.16 you can download (or git clone it) the module manually and extract it in appropriate folder:

https://github.com/triplus/Launcher

P.S. Once the module is installed FreeCAD restart is needed.
tommeyers

Post by tommeyers »

My thoughts:

There are two tabs associated with things in our models. Although for some things sometimes there are no name/values used.

So, I think adding a "Description" name with a user "Description" value is a clean extension of the data tab.

I too like to write notes for the user that follow. In another context I include a column with database control tables so the user can leave notes with the control data rows. My motiation is to minimize the total cost of ownership by improving produceability, maintainability, readability, supportability and installability.

I also think that one other N/V pair is needed for each thing: named Type: and given a value like "Part", Vertex, Shetch, Shell, Point, Face, ... . Why? To help us standardize the language we use when we talk about the things like point/vertex, line/egde, face, shell, solid, ... There are icons used and that is helpful and think the words naming a thing will help too.

Tom Meyers
polymer

Post by polymer »

Wouldn’t be shortcuts better than typing commands?