Topological Naming, My Take

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Post by realthunder »

New version released. This marks the first time I release for MacOS platform.

Topological Naming wiki has quite a few updates. PartDesign is complete ported with the new topological naming. It took me quite some time to pass the unit test. There are likely more bugs considering the amount of changes. The best way to see element mapping in effect is to use a different color for each modeling steps, and check if the coloring meets your expectation. Please post screenshot along with model files if you find any problem.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To give a feedback: Works well on MacOS.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

realthunder wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 am New version released. This marks the first time I release for MacOS platform.

Topological Naming wiki has quite a few updates. PartDesign is complete ported with the new topological naming. It took me quite some time to pass the unit test. There are likely more bugs considering the amount of changes. The best way to see element mapping in effect is to use a different color for each modeling steps, and check if the coloring meets your expectation. Please post screenshot along with model files if you find any problem.
Thank you so much Realthunder. I tried your appimage on Ubuntu and played a bit around with the topo naming improvement and the new color management. Really nice, but a skilled user is needed to redefine chamfer and fillets. But that is no problem, we can teach them.
Anyhow it's a big improvement. Concerning topo naming, last year I created a video to show how Creo handle it.
Please have a look:
phpBB [video]
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:32 am but a skilled user is needed to redefine chamfer and fillets. But that is no problem, we can teach them.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. What do you mean by redefine chamfer and fillet?

I watched your video, although I don't understand german (that is german, right?), I can probably guessed what you are trying to say by posting this video. Right now what I did is that if any change in the model causes any fillet edge reference to change, an explicit error will be shown, and the user is expected to correct the error manually by editing the broken feature. What the video shows, however, is a real-time interactive editing mode. It basically allows the user to change any intermediate modeling step while showing the Tip in real-time. In this mode, I think it will be no problem to let the algorithm guess any missing references automatically. But I expect lots of GUI works needed to have this kind of advanced editing mode in FC.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

realthunder wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:59 am Second, I have improved the naming scheme for tracing back modeling history. As a demonstration, I extended Part view provider face coloring to use the element map for mapping child shape colors.

The element references are stable, thanks to the new topo naming.
I remembered this discussion:

https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=1654

Improved topo naming situation should improve color situation. Give it a few years and now it happened! :)
PartDesign is getting colorful, too. Cheers!
Likely a good pair:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1339
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

realthunder wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 am New version released, mostly for fixing bugs caused by the topological naming.
Hi Realthunder,
thank you so much for your work. I tried your new appimage. Here is an easy example created in partdesign:
Realthunders_Topo_Naming_FH_1.fcstd
(28.97 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Please try to move the sketch to different position, that it cut the edges.
In some cases it loose the edge for the chamfer and for the fillet. Imagine a complex part with many chamfers and fillets. In PTC Wildfire 5.0 there is a possibility to show a backup model with the old position of edges, so you can see on which position you have to select two edges instead of one.
Best regards
Wilfried
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Please compare with the model created in the Part workbench.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/file.php?id=57172
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am Please compare with the model created in the Part workbench.
The reason you want me to compare the model created from Part and PartDesign is because, I guess, you think Part works better in this case? This is mostly a GUI, or shall I say, a workflow problem.

I, myself, think Part works better in this case. And this is because of how Part's Fillet/Chamfer editing tools handles missing reference. They don't touch the original object, but shows the base feature with guessed edge highlighted. PartDesign's Fillet/Chamfer editing tool don't work the same. When you enter the editing tool, and if there is missing edge, they'll auto guess it and show you the final result right away, in which state, they have already changed the object, and there is no easy way to revert it back. I wanted to make them work more like the Part WB, but couldn't do it without essentially rewrite the whole editing tool.

I will add some code to properly setup undo/redo for easy revert back. But I'll leave the GUI/workflow problem later at least until my branch got merged, as this is essentially a larger problem.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

realthunder wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:13 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am Please compare with the model created in the Part workbench.
The reason you want me to compare the model created from Part and PartDesign is because, I guess, you think Part works better in this case? This is mostly a GUI, or shall I say, a workflow problem.
That is true. With the part workbench your improvement for topo naming work very good. I did a stress test with complex operations and topo naming worked great.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 am That is true. With the part workbench your improvement for topo naming work very good. I did a stress test with complex operations and topo naming worked great.
I just released another bug fix version. I have added undo/redo in PartDesign dressup editor. When you double click and enter the editor, you can choose Cancel to revert back to the old shape.