Experiences at the sheetmetal bender (with the files prepared with the sheetmetal wb)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ooveif9

Experiences at the sheetmetal bender (with the files prepared with the sheetmetal wb)

Post by ooveif9 »

Went to the sheet metal bending workshop today and got a piece bent which I had done in FreeCAD. Some (maybe) interesting observations:
The bending machine wants to have the middle of the bend marked, not the beginning and end (that's the lines which get created on unbending a piece in the sheetmetal workbench) The center of the radius in the sheetmetal workbench seems to be positioned in the center of the thickness of the material, the machine in the bending workshop however expects the surface. This leads to an unexpected shortening of the piece.
Attachments
photo_2018-04-23_21-31-17.jpg
photo_2018-04-23_21-31-17.jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Experiences at the sheetmetal bender (with the files prepared with the sheetmetal wb)

Post by easyw-fc »

ooveif9 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 pm The bending machine wants to have the middle of the bend marked, not the beginning and end (that's the lines which get created on unbending a piece in the sheetmetal workbench)
this seems to be in fact what the Sheet Metal WB should generate.
I asked a friend of mine who is sending regularly designs to a bender firm to send me an example of what he gets from its SM sw and here it is:
bend-dxf.png
bend-dxf.png (78.44 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
bend-draw-layout.png
bend-draw-layout.png (43.26 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
The lines in the dxf and in the draw are the middle of the bend.
shaise wrote: ping
UR_ wrote: ping
ulrich1a wrote:
Would it be possible to improve the Unfold in the SM WB with this addition?

It is possible to project the unfold with Shape2DView and then generate a skecth. From there may be it would be possible to generate the middle lines with some python code...
I'm attaching also a simple FC file with this sketch.
unfolding.FCStd
(17.13 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Thx a lot
Maurice
silopolis

Re: Experiences at the sheetmetal bender (with the files prepared with the sheetmetal wb)

Post by silopolis »

Very interesting/instructive, thanks for reporting :)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

ooveif9 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 pm Went to the sheet metal bending workshop today and got a piece bent which I had done in FreeCAD. Some (maybe) interesting observations:
The bending machine wants to have the middle of the bend marked, not the beginning and end
following this thread
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p240825
this feature has been implemented :D
Sheet Metal WB commit
Just please update the SM WB and have a try ;)