Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Turro75

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by Turro75 »

Hello Realthunder,

first thank You for your job, needed as "water in the desert"...

just finished reading these 36 pages, nice reading!

I start playing with it , I got partial success, may be following the tips reported along the thread will help me improving the result.let's see.
I wanted to export the assembly as a step, but it doesn't generate any file. I tried making all links and exporting the obj outside assembly, it works but the objects have original placements. any idea?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Turro75 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 pm I wanted to export the assembly as a step, but it doesn't generate any file. I tried making all links and exporting the obj outside assembly, it works but the objects have original placements. any idea?
I'll work on STEP import/export very soon. But you can already do this now. For any top assembly you want to export, select the assembly, and change its property 'BuildShape' to 'Compound', then go to Part workbench, menu 'Part->Export CAD', and export as STEP file.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
dyleks

Post by dyleks »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am
realthunder wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 am New version released with Part measurement fix. Is this the what you are using? Because there are actually more than one measuring tools in FC. I have also add a toolbar button to refresh existing measurement to sync with current objects.
very nice improvement!
It would be possible to add also an Arc/Circle radius measurement?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 561#p77529
That is a missed measure in Part measurement tools.
++
That would be very helpful to be able to measure e.g. between two circle centers or edge and circle.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am very nice improvement!
It would be possible to add also an Arc/Circle radius measurement?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 561#p77529
That is a missed measure in Part measurement tools.
I checked out your manipulator workbench. Very nicely done. You seem to already have very rich measurement tools implemented. Are there anything you want in particular, which can't be done in Python? I think it would be better to have a dedicated workbench for measuring purpose. Part measurement is only for quick one time measuring, as it is not selectable, nor persistent. In fact, there is a Measure workbench in FC source repository, but only contain a python Measurement object. However, it is not a document object, and no Gui view provider either.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 am I think it would be better to have a dedicated workbench for measuring purpose. Part measurement is only for quick one time measuring, as it is not selectable, nor persistent.
I made Manipulator WB because of the missing of some measurements in main branch... I just like the idea to have the measure of a circle in main branch... many users seem not to add external WBs...

BTW I need to adjust Caliper to be fully compatible with A3 :)
(I have issues on calculation of placement and I have an issue when adding the annotation plane in measuring)

Code: Select all

<asm3.gui> 6.174 - gui.py(53): 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\FreeCAD-asm3\Ext\freecad\asm3\FCADLogger.py", line 83, in _catch
    return func(*args,**kargs)
  File "C:\FreeCAD-asm3\Ext\freecad\asm3\gui.py", line 24, in _setElementVisible
    sobj = obj.getSubObject(subname,1)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getSubObject'
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

realthunder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 am I think it would be better to have a dedicated workbench for measuring purpose.
Fotr me measuring is a quick tool but i would like so see implemented in FC usebkle in all workbenches. switching between workbenches for one or two measures is time consuming and in the long term annoying...
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:00 am I made Manipulator WB because of the missing of some measurements in main branch... I just like the idea to have the measure of a circle in main branch... many users seem not to add external WBs...
Right, I may add that in the future.
BTW I need to adjust Caliper to be fully compatible with A3 :)
(I have issues on calculation of placement and I have an issue when adding the annotation plane in measuring)

Code: Select all

<asm3.gui> 6.174 - gui.py(53): 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\FreeCAD-asm3\Ext\freecad\asm3\FCADLogger.py", line 83, in _catch
    return func(*args,**kargs)
  File "C:\FreeCAD-asm3\Ext\freecad\asm3\gui.py", line 24, in _setElementVisible
    sobj = obj.getSubObject(subname,1)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getSubObject'
This is just a warning. I'll fix the code to get rid of it. But it shouldn't affect your operation. Can you elaborate the problem you are having?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:20 am This is just a warning. I'll fix the code to get rid of it. But it shouldn't affect your operation. Can you elaborate the problem you are having?
I think I need to fix my placement calculation with A3 before being able to see the real reason of my issue... I will update later
Thx :D
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:10 am Fotr me measuring is a quick tool but i would like so see implemented in FC usebkle in all workbenches. switching between workbenches for one or two measures is time consuming and in the long term annoying...
Well, you can create a global toolbar (Tools->Customize) to add whatever commands you use the most.
Screenshot from 2018-05-03 16-51-35.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-03 16-51-35.png (67.6 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

i know but it different