porting to smesh 8.3

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
UR_
Veteran

Re: porting to smesh 8.3

Post by UR_ »

bernd wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 pm HaHaHa dejavu :shock:
Had one too, but occured later (march 2017)

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... distortion
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

UR_ wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 pm

was this solved?

I guess I have to go through all the commits and see which one are missing. It's said these patches are not applied upstream. I hope we can get a more close collaboration with salome with a more active external smesh. Doing the same work 3 times is somehow a bit annoying. I guess it's in the sense of all 3 projects (freecad/salome/pyocct) if the collaboration is working better.

Weren't there some salome guyes which tried to reimplement the freecad-sketcher in salome? :? Sometimes opensource seems to be very ineffective.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

looo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 am I hope we can get a more close collaboration with salome with a more active external smesh. Doing the same work 3 times is somehow a bit annoying. I guess it's in the sense of all 3 projects (freecad/salome/pyocct) if the collaboration is working better.
+1 I never had contact with them. Vejmarie seams to have his office just near those guys and he knows them too. But he is very busy with his own company ATM.
looo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 am Weren't there some salome guyes which tried to reimplement the freecad-sketcher in salome? :? Sometimes opensource seems to be very ineffective.
Accroding to Vejmarie, they took FreeCAD sketcher code and adapted it to salome.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

looo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 am
UR_ wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 pm

was this solved?
Yes, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p169042 and git commit 1b7224cd but it seams werner just fixed a change of vejmarie from git commit 732bd85c

interesting for us too might be:
git commit 1b08ae0613
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

looo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 am I guess I have to go through all the commits and see which one are missing.
It is what I would probably do too, because my C++ knowledge is not good enought to fix the problems directly.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I didn't find the commit which really solves this problem for me. So I will try to apply all the patches. As this is quite some work, I would like to use git as much as possible. My idea is to:

1. get list of commits:
git log --since="2015" src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/ |grep commit

2. create patches from commits and save the patches

3. modify patches to allow beeing applied at smesh

4. apply patches at smesh

5. resolve merge conflicts (one by one)

Then the next problem is that the external smesh8.3 is not a fork from the origin smesh (salome) The file structure was changed recently. So applying the diff at salome will be another hurdle...

Does anyone knows a better strategy?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

what else the the external smesh 8.3 is based on,if not a fork of origin smesh ?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I do not like patches, I like git. Our smesh is a certain commit of original smesh. Get this original smesh and merge our commits. Then try to rebase to newer original smesh until you are on 8.3. Just an idea?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

bernd wrote:what else the the external smesh 8.3 is based on,if not a fork of origin smesh ?
In my eyes a fork has all the history included... The external smesh is part of the full salome-package copied at a specific commit. I don't know if it's easy to figure out which commit it is based on.
I do not like patches, I like git. Our smesh is a certain commit of original smesh. Get this original smesh and merge our commits. Then try to rebase to newer original smesh until you are on 8.3. Just an idea?
this would work, but I guess there will be quite some conflicts... And we also want to make our patches/commits ready to get applied for salome. I guess it will not be accepted if our commits have to be inserted somewhere in the tree...

Also I don't know if it is possible to get commits from one directory structure applied to another directory structure. We use FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomemesh/src, pyocct uses SMESH/src and salome , I don't know? where do the hide there git-repos?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

FYI, this issue is back: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 40#p135981
So, this means that git commit 5c791306d and git commit 1b08ae0 must be added to the external smesh.