Do we need more than one document in the tree view?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Do we need more than one document in the tree view?

Post by yorik »

I think drag-dropping objects from one document to another could be useful. But indeed we could have an option to 1) not show the other opened documents and 2) auto-collapse them when not the active one.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

+1 for everything that has been said :)

I think it should be an option in the "View" menu, because I don't want to change the preferences just for the one off when I need multiple documents in the tree.

my 2C
alberich

Post by alberich »

mlampert wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 pm I think it should be an option in the "View" menu, because I don't want to change the preferences just for the one off when I need multiple documents in the tree.
Actually, I like this better than making it a Preferences option.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

mlampert wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 pm +1 for everything that has been said :)

I think it should be an option in the "View" menu, because I don't want to change the preferences just for the one off when I need multiple documents in the tree.

my 2C
the opposite for me... I have often many documents opened to make copies among them.. so a preference option it would be appreciated
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Another possibility: the context menu of the document root.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
geit_de

Post by geit_de »

I personally like that feature. I used it many times.

Especially recently when dealing with spreadsheets, I wanted to know if a save file got corrupted or not, so I renamed it.

I personally don´t see a big possibility for confusion. If you don´t need the feature the tree it stays simple and clean.

The only thing which is confusing is that the "tabs" below the window show open data from all open freecad projects.

It would be nice to optional just see only the tabs of the current active project, but I don´t know if there is a useful reason beside having the windows arranged. I probably would leave projects separated everywhere by default and add some context to "view in separate window", so one can regain some functionality e.g. having spreadsheets from two projects side by side.

No clue if that is possible and/or practical with the current UI design.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:39 pm
mlampert wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 pm I think it should be an option in the "View" menu, because I don't want to change the preferences just for the one off when I need multiple documents in the tree.
the opposite for me... I have often many documents opened to make copies among them.. so a preference option it would be appreciated
To clarify, I would expect the setting be persisted like the "View->Panel" choices, so whatever you set it to last will be there the next time you start up.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

mlampert wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:44 pm To clarify, I would expect the setting be persisted like the "View->Panel" choices, so whatever you set it to last will be there the next time you start up.
ok then, I missed the fact it was persistent as in changing a preference.
So I would like this too :D
Thx for clarifying
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:53 pm I think drag-dropping objects from one document to another could be useful. But indeed we could have an option to 1) not show the other opened documents and 2) auto-collapse them when not the active one.
I used this a lot to copy paste specific items from one project to another.

For example, large complex master project like a house so I made the furniture in other fcstd files with a Part Create Simle copy as a last step, then copy paste the simple copies into the master project file. Then when I wanted to change something in the furniture I would do so, create another simple copy then copy paste again into the master document.

This work around was useful because keeping everything parametric in the one master document made it unmanageablely slow with recomputes.
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

If you copy and paste between documents, I would imagine, that it's more convenient to switch between documents back and forth with the document tab because the fact that the tree shows only the current document would mean that when you come back to a document, the visible part of the tree would stay the same, saving time and mouse scrolling to look for the correct place to copy/paste.
Last edited by galou_breizh on Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.