Sheet Metal bending

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lars

Sheet Metal bending

Post by Lars »

<r>Hello all,<br/>
<br/>
I am preparing a part in sheet metal and face difficulties in making proper use of the sheet metal workbench:<br/>
The draft design is available here (<URL url="https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... <LINK_TEXT text="https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... ZxpDhsbYyG">https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... TEXT></URL>) and consists of a sheet with 4 bends. However each bended side is unique and it appears impossible to apply the bend parameter gap1 and gap2 respectively, for the bend demoninated 'BendRight<br/>
<br/>
Questions: <br/>
1) Any ideas or tricks for inreoducing a gap of e.g. 3mm at the top of the right bend?<br/>
2) Which is the correct way of introducing holes in the bends while maintaining the possibility for subsequent unfolding?<br/>
<br/>
Best<br/>
/Lars</r>
Best regards

Lars
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal bending

Post by chrisb »

Hello Lars, welcome to the forum.
Please re-edit your post and remove the additional HTML stuff. There is a preview function which you can use to verify.
As this is a general help request, I move it to the appropriate forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi Lars
I do not understand the question: well on that it is possible to give in gap1 a value other than gap2
well on as it is possible to make holes which will be on unbend
it is necessary to specify the question
Lars

Re: Sheet Metal bending with gaps

Post by Lars »

Hello all,
This is a repost of the issue with bends which impact on other bended sides when applying the gap1 and gap2 parameter.

I am preparing a part in sheet metal and face difficulties in making proper use of the sheet metal workbench bending functionality:

The draft design is available here (https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... ErGUKocgMc ) and consists of a sheet with 4 bends. However each bended side is unique and it appears impossible to apply the bend parameter gap1 and gap2 respectively, for the bend demoninated 'BendRight.
When specifying a gap 2 for the flap 'BendRight', the bend belonging to the top is modified instead - see illustrations here: https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... LpPsjPR7G4
and here: https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... Mh8QCMJ21Y

Questions:
1) Any ideas or tricks for introducing a gap of e.g. 4mm at the top of the right bend, which does not impact on the other bended flaps (e.g. BendTop)?
2) Which is the correct way of introducing holes/cuts in the bends while maintaining the possibility for subsequent unfolding? (see example here of structure which unfolds correctly without cuts, but fails to unfold after introducing the 2 cuts). https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... rm4TJNo0LX

Best
/Lars

Metadata for FreeCAD:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13519 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 1a8b868018f45ea486c0023fdbfeb06febc1fb89
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: Danish/Denmark (da_DK)
Best regards

Lars
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Sorry I can't help you concerning your sheetmetal question. But I can tell you that you can upload your pics and screenshots direct here with the forum software. Use attachment. Please read the Forum rules. Such things are described there.
Generator.aspx.jpeg
Generator.aspx.jpeg (316.99 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Generator.aspx2.jpeg
Generator.aspx2.jpeg (316.99 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Lars wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:40 am Questions:
1) Any ideas or tricks for introducing a gap of e.g. 4mm at the top of the right bend, which does not impact on the other bended flaps (e.g. BendTop)?
You should make gaps before others bends to avoid faces conflicting .
Lars wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:40 am 2) Which is the correct way of introducing holes/cuts in the bends while maintaining the possibility for subsequent unfolding?
Select the right shape to make the unfold. (F1_cablehole001)
Last edited by Vincent B on Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lars

Post by Lars »

GlouGlou wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:28 am
Lars wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:40 am Questions:
You should make gaps before others bends to avoid faces conflicting .
Good morning GlouGlou,
I do not figure out how to overcome this issue. The BendRight (including gaps) is defined before BendTop as you suggest. Nevertheless, the BendTop/BendRight is influenced and causes error in the design.
/Lars
Best regards

Lars
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

I mean you cannot make gaps after all bends are made, because bends are mapped on a face. So new gaps creating new faces, and freecad are puzzled. :lol:
And if you have to use freecad usually, you should use the new features of 017 (Part Design) ;)
Attachments
gg.FCStd
(44.75 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Lars

Post by Lars »

GlouGlou wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:43 am I mean you cannot make gaps after all bends are made, because bends are mapped on a face. So new gaps creating new faces, and freecad are puzzled. :lol:
And if you have to use freecad usually, you should use the new features of 017 (Part Design) ;)
Hi GlouGlou,
Thank you for your feedback. If I understand you correctly, bends can not be edited and recomputed properly once it has been defined?
(Modifying gap1 or gap2 to the BendRight in the model you prepared, does also create errors as they are not properly implemented) :o(
/Lars
Best regards

Lars
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi Lars
As says it Glouglou, you should not modify Gap or Relief after to have made of other operations, of more these modifications to see itself not on unfold.
Holes, it is also necessary to make them before unfold, And also holes should not cut partially hinges
Attachments
unfold_lars.FCStd
(154.71 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
unfold_Lars.JPG
unfold_Lars.JPG (108.93 KiB) Viewed 2050 times