How about a workbench dedicated to clothes pattern drafting ?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: How about a workbench dedicated to clothes pattern drafting ?

Post by jmaustpc »

maxagaz wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:53 am Is it something FreeCAD could possibly go for ? I'm curious to hear opinions about it.
Are you offering to write the code?
If so we would have to decide if we would accept it or not if you wanted to contribute it to master. But if you want to create a workbench as a 3rd party add-on then you can do pretty much whatever you want, and if you wanted to you could offer it for installation via the FreeCAD add-on installer.
maxagaz

Post by maxagaz »

I'd love to but I don't have the required capabilities, at least not yet.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I guess you have to have experienced how a pattern making program works in comparison to a CAD program to understand how wildly different they are. I dare say, as much as Blender and FreeCAD can be from each other.

I don't have anything against a fabric pattern workbench in FreeCAD, but what I don't like to see is the duplication of efforts. Already, Valentina was forked into two opposite projects because of a dispute between its developers (the other one is called Seamly2D and has retained the Valentina-project.org domain). Having a third effort with FreeCAD only divides further the efforts between very few potential contributors.

Maybe it would make more sense to create a bridge between FreeCAD and Valentina/Seamly2D, like what was done with the OpenSCAD workbench. And ensure FreeCAD takes care of what it does best, 3D.

Interesting trivia: AccuMark 3D (the 3D package from one of the main companies in the field) is powered by Blender. http://www.gerbertechnology.com/fashion ... cumark-3d/
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Surface flattening, creating paragliders, rucksacks and shoes. Clothes are i guess the next obvious step.

P.S. It's done when it is done.