Converting model aircraft plans into a 3D model for printing

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
davecoventry

Re: Converting model aircraft plans into a 3D model for printing

Post by davecoventry »

At the risk of a threadjack, I'd like to endorse those posts recommending Linux.

I too have legacy CAD software that only runs on XP and my solution is to run XP on a virtual machine on Linux.

Have a look at http://virtualbox.org/
~ Dave
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

davecoventry wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:43 am At the risk of a threadjack, I'd like to endorse those posts recommending Linux.

I too have legacy CAD software that only runs on XP and my solution is to run XP on a virtual machine on Linux.

Have a look at http://virtualbox.org/
I was going to say the same but didn't want to threadjack either, so now that it's been done this should be ok! :D

The only difference is I'd recommend the built-in solution using libvirt (which is QEMU/KVM at the core) and its graphical interface, virt-manager. One can just do sudo apt install virt-manager.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Tilli

B-Splines - re: Converting model aircraft plans into a 3D model for printing

Post by Tilli »

TonyR wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:17 am I guess I'm a bit more used to splines... but getting there...
Hi and Welcome

Yes it is a big and deep programme. Just to explicitly confirm, you have found the B-Spline and Bezier-Curve tools in the Sketcher and Draft WorkBenches respectively, yes...?

Oh, and I too would heartily encourage a Linux route.

:)

B-Splines-in-SketcherWB.png
B-Splines-in-SketcherWB.png (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1332 times

Bezier-Curves-in-DraftWB.png
Bezier-Curves-in-DraftWB.png (35.58 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I don't seem to get those options, B-Spline.

Probably because I am using an older version of FreeCAD?

If 0.17 runs on Win7, I'll download it to my laptop and be done with it - plug the lappy into my large LCD and full sized keyboard and mouse.

To those suggesting Linux - I have a Ubuntu drive somewhere, but it would be a yonks-old version...
tommeyers

Post by tommeyers »

TonyR, You and others inspired me to bring up an Ubuntu/FreeCAD .17 system. I had a spare $110 laptop: 64bit, 2 processor, 4GB, 350GB with a broken KB; plugged in a moveable KB while I wait for the part. Had Windows 7 and I erased it. I could have used a much less capable system.

I expect I will get better perf than w/windows. I will use that to attempt rendering again.

My workflow: Study Ubuntu/Unity documentation, download and create installable USB for Ubuntu (easy), install Ubuntu (easy). 3 hrs including download of Ubuntu. Download/Install FreeCAD 17. 3 Hrs because installed .15 and had to uninstall, download, study install of app image and make shortcut.

Summary, it is fast enough, its cheap, Unity makes it familiar, installs are simple.

I will connect to DropBox for design storage.

Cost: new keyboard: 20$

Tom Meyers
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Well since there have been multiple threadjacks here ;)

tommeyers wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 am My workflow: Study Ubuntu/Unity documentation
Unfortunately, Canonical stopped development of its Unity desktop. I have been using it at home since it came out in Ubuntu 11.04. For Ubuntu 18.04 which is coming out next week, they have adopted GNOME Shell as default. Of course Ubuntu 16.04 still has Unity and will be maintained for 3 more years, and Unity can be installed in 18.04 too, but it's a dead end - so I will make the switch to 18.04 and GS soon myself.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

tommeyers wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 am study install of app image and make shortcut.
I would recommend to use the PPA instead of the appimage. Updates are simpler and in case you ever use external programs like opencamlib the integration is easier.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Installed .17 on the Laptop running Win 7.

All good :)
salp

Post by salp »

TonyR,

Curious on you were coming along with your airplane project.

Sal
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Not very far, Sal.
Still can seem to get my head around FreeCAD.