appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:05 am Yeah but unfortunately it doesn't work with CalculiX.
Ahh, I hadn't seen your new pull request. I will keep an eye on this now.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Since the freecad-legacy PPA does not provide a freecad-0.16 package for Ubuntu 18.04 (we'll have to fix that I think), I downloaded the latest 0.16.6712 AppImage.

At first launch here's what I got:

FC_AppImage_Install_01.png
FC_AppImage_Install_01.png (112.3 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Thanks.

EDIT: hey, very nice:
FC_AppImage_Disable_question_01.png
FC_AppImage_Disable_question_01.png (25.54 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nah. I got used to things like Unity/Compiz/Global menu too much. Will therefore extend my Ubuntu 16.04 alike experience for a while.

P.S. As for the AppImage good to hear it is working as expected.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

triplus wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 pm Nah. I got used to things like Unity/Compiz/Global menu too much. Will therefore extend my Ubuntu 16.04 alike experience for a while.
BTW, there is an ubuntu-unity-desktop package available in 18.04, so you should be able to install from the minimal server ISO and then install the Unity package to get substantially the same experience.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 pm Since the freecad-legacy PPA does not provide a freecad-0.16 package for Ubuntu 18.04 (we'll have to fix that I think
netgen-headers grrrrr :(
Make a bionic recipe with no netgen?
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm BTW, there is an ubuntu-unity-desktop package available in 18.04, so you should be able to install from the minimal server ISO and then install the Unity package to get substantially the same experience.
Unfortunately such options lack detail and polish. In addition i am going to wait to see if GNOME will continue to support things like desktop icons through extensions and how good that will pan out. Did already try out options like KDE Neon and liked it. Therefore i guess the world won't stop. And in a year or two upgrading from Unity to something that makes more sense (to me) will likely be possible.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Ironically GNOME Nautilus devs just removed the ability to launch binary applications from Nautilus file manager. Therefore in the next GNOME release it won't be possible anymore to launch AppImages from Nautilus file manager. User will need to launch the AppImage from the terminal (at least for the first time until the launcher is added). Or hopefully some better option will be made available. But i am not all that optimistic that (better option) will happen anytime soon.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Additional AppImage was made available on GitHub releases page:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

It is based on the Conda effort (by @looo). Testers welcome. Developers can use it to see how their modules are behaving in Python 3 and Qt 5 environment. End users are encouraged to use it in a FreeCAD day to day work alike tasks and report AppImage, Python 3 and Qt 5 related issues they might be experiencing. If Python 3 related issue is suspected best to report here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12534
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:11 pm Additional AppImage was made available on GitHub releases page:
This is great work. Initial testing only show a couple of minor self-test failures that I will post in the PY3 thread.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that for Conda based AppImage support for delta updates got added:

Use Case:

Download the FreeCAD Conda based AppImage (only once):

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

Download AppImageUpdate (GUI or the command line version):

https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpdate/releases

Make both AppImages executable. To check and if available to perform an update:

Code: Select all

# Using GUI 
./AppImageUpdate.AppImage ./FreeCAD.AppImage
# Command line
./appimageupdatetool.AppImage ./FreeCAD.AppImage
Some data on how "the regular daily update" looks like:

Code: Select all

zsync2: Usable data from seed files: 98,563152%
zsync2: used 262709248 local, fetched 3827784
In short 250MB of local data got reused from the existing AppImage and only 3.6MB got downloaded.