Distributing FreeCAD via BitTorrent

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bananachokolate

Distributing FreeCAD via BitTorrent

Post by bananachokolate »

Hi all,
Noticed download speed wasn't very good, only ~350 kbyte/s. What about adding the option of downloading FreeCAD via BitTorrent?
Joyas

Re: Distributing FreeCAD via BitTorrent

Post by Joyas »

And eMule, making an eLink is not difficult and it test the Sha1 & MD5 integrity of the file.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
bananachokolate

BitTorrent does a checksum-check for every pice. Why not distribute via both eMule and BitTorrent?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I specifically told you to ask a moderator to move your existing topic in Open discussion. Not to create an identical one!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

bananachokolate wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:59 pm BitTorrent does a checksum-check for every pice. Why not distribute via both eMule and BitTorrent?
Of course, that was my idea. :)
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
bananachokolate

NormandC wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 pm I specifically told you to ask a moderator to move your existing topic in Open discussion. Not to create an identical one!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yes you did. Something went wrong. Every time I sent a PM to the moderator it ended up in my outbox insted of being sent. That's why I went with creating a new topic myself.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bananachokolate wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:16 am Something went wrong. Every time I sent a PM to the moderator it ended up in my outbox instead of being sent. That's why I went with creating a new topic myself.
The messages stay in the outbox until the recipient has opened them. I was off for a day and didn't react to your request.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bananachokolate

The messages stay in the outbox until the recipient has opened them. I was off for a day and didn't react to your request.
That explains it. Thanks for clearing that up!

On topic: Apart from gaining file transfer speed when using modern file distribution methods, what are the drawbacks? Any ideas on why not to go p2p?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bananachokolate wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 pm Any ideas on why not to go p2p?
In general (without thinking about details) somebody would have to do it (and after maintain it).
bananachokolate

triplus wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:36 am ...somebody would have to do it (and after maintain it).
In order to increase redundancy, perhaps there could be a small community-powered team that makes sure the latest p2p-version agrees with the latest www-version?