Better output for Draft commands

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Better output for Draft commands

Post by yorik »

I have been experimenting with some stuff discussed here and there on the forum, it is now in master with git commit 4cb93bf66. The idea is to make working with Draft a bit more "intuitive" for autocad users (and actually everybody else too). It doesn't change anything to the way things work in Draft, all the work is in what gets presented to the user:

Basically:

1) in-command shortcuts, such as "O" to close a Draft wire, etc... are now centralized at the beginning of DraftGui.py, so they will be much easier to change or make customizable in the future. The difficulty is to avoid letters that are used in units, for ex. C, because the system would get confused if you want the shortcut or write "cm"

2) these shortcuts now appear on the buttons and on the report view, when starting a command

3) there is now more stuff printed in the report view. So far only Line and Wire tools have been fully ported. I thought best to gather ideas before going further:
Screenshot from 2018-05-14 19-09-06.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-14 19-09-06.png (51.4 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Please have a try and tell me what you think could be improved!

I'm wondering if we could extend the console/report view to print bold text, and maybe links too... I'll have a look at that later on
triplus
Veteran

Re: Better output for Draft commands

Post by triplus »

If i remember the discussion correctly. Some wanted a command line alike input ability (as an alternative option to Tasks panel). And not more verbose messages.

P.S. But i guess good to have more verbose output.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Having input in the report view would be a lot of work to implement, just to imitate autocad. Personally I don't think I want to spend my time on that. The point of this change is to show that you can get a very similar workflow WITHOUT autocad-like input.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes i know. A lot of work and in addition most of the users could still end up using the Tasks panel anyway. If only one or two workbenches would support such input. That wouldn't be ideal too.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I agree on that if it just work with two workbenches it have no/ little effect... but if it's works out it i think people ask for it...
Otherwise it is something for the old guys (sorry) all fresh new SW users don't care amd i think that's the group of users what use part and part design...