.stl file exported is not smooth

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lovesuiyuan

.stl file exported is not smooth

Post by Lovesuiyuan »

I use the latest FreeCAD 0.17, now I import a step file, then export stl format file.but when I open the stl file exported, I found the model surface is not smooth, I can see obvious edges and corners.
Then I use another 3D software to deal with the same step file, the stl file is very smooth.

other 3D software export file effect as follows:
oherSoftwareEffect
oherSoftwareEffect
otherSoftwareEffect.png (171.1 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
FreeCAD export file effect as follows:
FreeCAD stl file effect
FreeCAD stl file effect
FreeCADEffect.png (162.99 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
Please Help, so, what should I do to improve the surface effects, any suggestion is appreciate!!
bejant
Veteran

Re: .stl file exported is not smooth

Post by bejant »

Lovesuiyuan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am what should I do to improve the surface effects,
Hi Lovesuiyuan, and welcome! You can get smoother surfaces in the .stl Export by using the pull-down menu and changing Edit > Preferences > Part Design (icon in left pane) > Shape view (tab at top of right pane) and changing the "Maximum deviation depending on..." setting from the default setting of 0.5 % to something smaller.

A lower number will make smoother surfaces when the file is Exported to .stl., but the file sizes will be larger. Objects in the 3D view will also appear smoother on your computer monitor, but it will take FreeCAD more time to display them. On complicated models this might make FreeCAD too slow, so after Exporting the .stl you might want to change that "Maximum deviation..." setting back to the default.

(edited typo)
Last edited by bejant on Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

I guess.. you chosse the wrong way or the wrong mesher to create the STL..

look at the end of this video to see how i export STL and they look smooth ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgstQi9jpGc&t=280s
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

If you convert a solid to a mesh in mesh workbench you will get more control over the triangulation of the resultant mesh than simply exporting as stl. Exporting as stl does so by reading the opengl display triangulation, which is why bejants suggestion works.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Another tip, don't forget that stl is a lossy format that by definition is impossible to convert properly back to a cad solid format like step etc. Stl has its uses as an output format, but from a cad point of view is a garbage format.
oldmachine

Post by oldmachine »

Change the Tessellation value in the export pref's panel - that is what controls the smoothness...
MAC OSX Sierra
3D Parts & Links (made using FreeCad and Solidworks): https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Android App & Links: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .bestknots
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

bejant wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 am Hi Lovesuiyuan, and welcome! You can get smoother surfaces in the .stl Export by using the pull-down menu and changing Edit > Preferences > Part Design (icon in left pane) > Shape view (tab at top of right pane) and changing the "Maximum deviation depending on..." setting from the default setting of 0.5 % to something smaller.
For .stl .obj and .amf this is no longer true.
The Shape view only effects the display tessellation in FreeCAD.
The default export tessellation is controlled by Edit > Preferences > Import-Export Mesh Formats tab.
You need to activate the Mesh Design workbench first for the preference option to be available.
This was done so a coarser tessellation can be used for display to keep the FreeCAD gui responsive and to be able to export a very fine tessellation without switching the Shape view preference back and forth.
"fight the good fight"
Lovesuiyuan

Post by Lovesuiyuan »

bejant wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 am
Lovesuiyuan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am what should I do to improve the surface effects,
Hi Lovesuiyuan, and welcome! You can get smoother surfaces in the .stl Export by using the pull-down menu and changing Edit > Preferences > Part Design (icon in left pane) > Shape view (tab at top of right pane) and changing the "Maximum deviation depending on..." setting from the default setting of 0.5 % to something smaller.

A lower number will make smoother surfaces when the file is Exported to .stl., but the file sizes will be larger. Objects in the 3D view will also appear smoother on your computer monitor, but it will take FreeCAD more time to display them. On complicated models this might make slow FreeCAD too slow, so after Exporting the .stl you might want to change that "Maximum deviation..." setting back to the default.
Thank you very much.I use your method, and it works, I get smoother 3D file. it solve my big problem, Thank you again!
Lovesuiyuan

Post by Lovesuiyuan »

Thank you for everone, especially bejant.It can be solved by using the pull-down menu and changing Edit > Preferences > Part Design (icon in left pane) > Shape view (tab at top of right pane) and changing the "Maximum deviation depending on..." setting from the default setting of 0.5 % to something smaller.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

sgrogan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm The default export tessellation is controlled by Edit > Preferences > Import-Export Mesh Formats tab.
I've never tried that method, but like that it doesn't change the display....

Lovesuiyuan wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:40 am Thank you very much.
You're welcome, and post back if you need more help.