Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by freedman »

Opened a new assembly, brought in 2 prior created basic parts, disk and taper created in part design 18.135.... Could not select any faces. Now that I know it is being supported I will work on it tommorow and give details. I just tried to create a part in part design and when I went to revolve a square on YZ plane, no part or anything showing.
I noticed also that if I bring a basic shape into assembly the screen does not seem to refresh when I transform the object, where the object was originally stays transparent.

It's late here, tomorrow.
Thanks
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am It's late here, tomorrow.
Thanks
Sure, no hurry. Just a guess. Try toggle "Preference->Display->3DView->Use OpenGL Vertex Buffer Object". It sounds like some display problem, and it usually goes away when you disable this option.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I changed to using open GL. Maybe a difference.
My first issue here is that Part Design doesn't work any more. That's a show stopper for me.

Any time I try a new version of Freecad I do this:
Create body, new sketch YZ plane
Draw a square upper left quadrant, revolve it.
When I do that with your version the object disappears.

A side question: What is the planned process for integration of Assembly3.
Are you planning to continue to integrate the latest Freecad version into your builds for years to come or
incorporate Assembly3 into FreeCad at some point. Make it a workbench?
Thanks
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm Any time I try a new version of Freecad I do this:
Create body, new sketch YZ plane
Draw a square upper left quadrant, revolve it.
When I do that with your version the object disappears.
Yeah, you found a bug of Part Design revolve. There are most likely more bug like this in Part Design or Part due to my recent addition of topological naming. I'll fix it soon.
A side question: What is the planned process for integration of Assembly3.
Are you planning to continue to integrate the latest Freecad version into your builds for years to come or
incorporate Assembly3 into FreeCad at some point. Make it a workbench?
Thanks
I certainly hope my branch of FreeCAD can be merged into master some day.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

[/quote]I certainly hope my branch of FreeCAD can be merged into master some day.
[/quote]

Yes me to. What is holding this up?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Maybe I'm an isolated case but I can't even use assy3 as yet. In regular Freecad I can draw in Part design/sketch mostly all day without error. The screen in regular Freecad is flawless. GL or not. I used assembly2 for awhile with few problems, I got what I needed done.

I hope you can fix these issues. Your options for constraints in the toolbar are many, I am looking forward to assy3.

If there is something I can do to test either of my issues, I wlll.

Assy3 looks almost ready, that last 10% is always a bear. I messed around with Solvespace for awhile, it has some nice constraint features working in 2D.

Thanks for your efforts.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:25 pm I certainly hope my branch of FreeCAD can be merged into master some day.
@realthunder, if you consider your work ready, I think you should rebase your branch, if not already, and ask directly to main developers if this can be merged to the FC dev main branch...
Only with a bigger user base A3 can be tuned to become stable enough to be daily-used.

FreeCAD daily is a container used to test and tune new features... this can be messed for a while, but only with a big audience, the changes can be tuned.
Part Design Next did a big mess for a long time, but now is a big achievement for FC.

@realthunder has been always very responsive to user's need, fixing very soon any issue and adding even new features on demand.

I think we should take advantage of this new A3 branch that is adding long time desired features.

EDIT: about SolveSpace License issue, the python code can be merged as an Addon WB or as an extra download (as it is for DXF import/export code)

my two cents
Maurice
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am @realthunder has been always very responsive to user's need, fixing very soon any issue and adding even new features on demand.
when does he sleep
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am @realthunder, if you consider your work ready, I think you should rebase your branch, if not already, and ask directly to main developers if this can be merged to the FC dev main branch...
Hmm... I didn't ask because my LinkStage1 pull request is still pending in the upstream, and there are quite a few other long pending requests, too. So I figure maybe the main developers are busy at the moment. But, yeah, I think I'll start a new thread and ask them directly, once I finished this step import/export thing at hand. I don't think rebase is going to work now. I always merge with the upstream master before every release, so my branch is not that far behind.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 am when does he sleep
Well.. there is a large ocean around hawaii with few users.. most usable timezone for sleeping hours when one is responsive nerd...
( just kidding)
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/