Can't create a wall at all

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
udav441

Can't create a wall at all

Post by udav441 »

Note: this does NOT correspond to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27862

When I start a Arch workbench I can't create a wall.
When I try to draw a wall directly, CAD shows a wall during dragging it. And when I finish the wall it disappeers at all.

When I draw a line first and then try to create a wall via icon "Add Wall" CAD do nothing and throws and exception in status line.

I've tried it on two Win7 system 32bit and 64 bit.
This errors occurs on all 0.17 subversions that I used. 0.16 works fine. System cleaning didn't help.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action 1:
Select Arch workbench
Draw line
Select line
Press "Add Wall" icon

Result 1:
Running the Python command 'Arch_Wall' failed: Traceback (most recent call last): File "C\Program Filees\FreeCAD 0.17\Mod\Arch\ArchWall.py", line 194, in Activated FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.openTransaction(translate("Arch","Create Wall")) Unknown C++ exception

Action 2:
Press "Add Wall" icon
Begin Wall
End Wall

Result 2:
Appers nothing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13522 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 3bb5ff4e70c0c526f2d9dd69b1004155b2f527f2
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: Russian/RussianFederation (ru_RU)
Tags No tags attached.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Can't create a wall at all

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
Are you using FreeCAD with interface language set to Russian? If so, it would be nice if you check in English too. There are some problems with non-English interfaces.
udav441

Post by udav441 »

Damn! This is the first thing I sould try.

Yes, GUI is set to Russian.

Yes, it helps me to change lanuage to English.

Thank you!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

I noticed you created issue #0003478. I'm pretty sure this problem was already reported, but I can't find it.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

this is strange... Normally openTransaction() accepts unicode (App/DocumentPyImp.cpp L327) since quite some time, but I see now that this code uses a wrong encoding (Latin1 instead of UTF8) which indeed must give problems with non-latin characters.

This is now fixed in git commit 4f5e304d6 (backported to the 017 release branch too)
Dgingrey

Post by Dgingrey »

I'm having the same problem, see issue # 3423.
I have tried installing FreeCad v0.17 on 5 different machines running Windows 10 both 32 bit.
At first I thought it might be the 32 bit version of Windows but after upgrading to the 64 bit
version I still get an error when trying to create a wall. One of the machines I tried it on is set up for
dual booting for Windows 7 or Windows 10. FreeCad v17 works correctly when I boot Windows 7 but
not when I boot Windows 10. When I try and create the wall from scratch or from a d-wire and exception is thrown
and the 3D view freezes up but the wall is shown to have been created in the combo view. The 3D view cannot be
manipulated until the wall is deleted in the combo view. Then manipulation of the 3D view returns to normal.