microsoft buys github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
damian

microsoft buys github

Post by damian »

microsoft.png
microsoft.png (158.72 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Last edited by damian on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opus

Re: Microsoft buys github

Post by Opus »

Move to Gitlab or Gogs ?
Last edited by Opus on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbill

Re: is this a nightmare?

Post by kbill »

:o Oooolaaa... ok! :shock:
And it's not a fake!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -5-billion

It's my second post, because my first post was done 10 min earlier... i was asking myself about to migrate my 3d stuff from windows to linux...
oops...
Money is quite cool, but a lot of money sucks when it's not in your hand!

What to do now?
RickDeckard

Post by RickDeckard »

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

:D I opened the forum today, and I thought "The very first post I will encounter will be about Microsoft buying GitHub"... It didn't fail!

My opinion is that there is no reason to hurry or panic. Who knows, microsoft is serious about their new love for open-source.. I have my doubts but let's give them a chance to prove themselves and keep a close eye on what they are doing. I like their new CEO, let's see...

In any case, we moved out of Sourceforge once already, and since then, we decided never to hook ourselves to a specific platform again. We always thought this could happen with Github or any other platform too. So if we need to move the FreeCAD source code somewhere else tomorrow, there is virtually no difficulty. We don't depend on them, the FreeCAD source code doesn't depend on them and is safely duplicated on hundreds of computers thanks to git, we are just hosting our "public" source code address there.

But let's be vigilant!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I agree with you Yorik, neverless it does make sense if you would register FreeCAD on gitlab, doesn't it? Kust in case ...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bernd wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:18 pm I agree with you Yorik, neverless it does make sense if you would register FreeCAD on gitlab, doesn't it? Kust in case ...
+1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Opus

Re: Microsoft buys github

Post by Opus »

yorik wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:08 pm My opinion is that there is no reason to hurry or panic.
Agree.
Here a french post about it:
https://korben.info/petit-point-sur-le- ... osoft.html
The author talks about an alternative base on Mango, a decentralised git (IPFS).
Last edited by Opus on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I already registered FreeCAD on GitLab maybe a week or two ago. I run my own self-hosted GitLab server with integrated login from FreeIPA (<3) and there's a possibility of extending your own self-hosted instance with GitLab CI workers, so I was looking into that as a possible alternative to the Buildbot portion of my GSoC stuff.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Microsoft is lately aggressive when it comes to buying open source oriented projects. Therefore it could happen in the future Microsoft would buy one of the core components FreeCAD uses (like Qt). Until we have some real choice i feel we should move away from (being) Microsoft product(s). And under their control. That is just my personal opinion and i am sure some will disagree.

P.S. Microsoft has a long road ahead to prove they can be a good steward to FOSS projects. Actions like buying GitHub isn't enough in my opinion. It doesn't bring much to us but it puts us in a difficult position. And we have to deal with a problem we didn't have before. We i guess can just ignore it and see how that goes. But hopefully we will migrate elsewhere in the future and hopefully won't be affected too much by the lack of the things we became accustomed to.