microsoft buys github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: is this a nightmare?

Post by triplus »

If this is going to be the thread to discuss and track our future GitHub strategy. I would suggest to change the title to something more neutral.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

That's pretty shocking news. Yet, totally understandable. I noticed when browsing Microsoft recently that they have a lot of GitHub integration going on. I've also heard long ago that MS uses GitHub internally. Looks like they depend on it enough to justify acquiring it. Just thoughts...

Feels like FreeCAD doesn't lose anything just yet. Good to hear FreeCAD is no big deal to move should something about new GitHub become unbearable.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Yeah, I seriously doubt Microsoft will twist Github into something unpalatable for developers any time soon. It's possible, I guess - Google's doing a great job killing the experience for Youtubers. I keep hearing rumors of a several who are working to build a distributed video hosting platform... again. :) At least we have somewhere to go if it happens to Github.

Anyway, I think the most we can possibly worry about for quite some time is just the fact that it's ... unsettling to see that Microsoft owns the world's dominant source code management platform.

It's sort of like, I wish they'd give me reason to leave, but I know they won't. :)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Joel_graff wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:05 pm It's sort of like, I wish they'd give me reason to leave, but I know they won't. :)
Joel_graff wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:05 pm unsettling
;)
damian

Re: microsoft buys github

Post by damian »

triplus wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:51 pm I would suggest to change the title to something more neutral.
I only can change the title in the first post. Thank you.
Edit: perhaps a new thread in another forum
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I agree with yorik that we must remain vigilant.

However this is another victory for FOSS.
Gone are the days that the big boys can ignore it, and hope it goes away.

On Win 10 you can run a Ubuntu shell natively, not in a virtual machine. MSBuild is opensource, The community edition of VS is much more reasonable and full featured than the old express versions.

Hopefully this is an ongoing sea change and not some sort "consolidate and close" strategy, but this is where the vigilance comes in.
"fight the good fight"
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I would like to know from the knowledge base; does this give Microsoft any access to information about the users of Freecad, would it just be download info, IP address, cookies, IP location? If something is embedded/added to the download, how is that detected?

Thanks
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

freedman wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm I would like to know from the knowledge base; does this give Microsoft any access to information about the users of Freecad
The deal isn't final yet so all parties are still bound to the agreement when you signed up for GitHub. This is where the vigilance comes in, if you get an e-mail/notification to update your GitHub agreement, I will be reading the fine print carefully.
"fight the good fight"
damian

Post by damian »

I really think that the enterprises are a big support for FOSS.
I would like to be optimistic, but in this case, I can't. The monopoly and world supremacy are the Microsoft objectives.
I would wish to change my opinion.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

damian wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 pm I really think that the enterprises are a big support for FOSS.
I would like to be optimistic, but in this case, I can't. The monopoly and world supremacy are the Microsoft objectives.
I would wish to change my opinion.
History certainly supports this worry. Hopefully Micro$oft will learn from the bullcrap that SourceForge tried.
"fight the good fight"