microsoft buys github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: microsoft buys github

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm We now have https://gitlab.com/freecad/freecad. It's importing ATM... and I've added you as an owner for the FreeCAD group. I imported copies of all the github.com/freecad repos into gitlab.com/freecad.
Should this be working? I tried the link, which asks me for a login. I tried to login with my GitHub account and get 404?
Thanks for being so proactive about this!
"fight the good fight"
shiftee

Post by shiftee »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:21 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm We now have https://gitlab.com/freecad/freecad. It's importing ATM... and I've added you as an owner for the FreeCAD group. I imported copies of all the github.com/freecad repos into gitlab.com/freecad.
Should this be working? I tried the link, which asks me for a login. I tried to login with my GitHub account and get 404?
Thanks for being so proactive about this!
I had this issue with a repo of my own. The project probably needs to be made public
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

It should be working now, I thought I had changed the privacy settings for that import but I guess it still got the default repo setting of 'private'.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

https://gitlab.com/freecad/freecad.
land ahoi :D
so there is only a loss of the git history?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

microelly2 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm https://gitlab.com/freecad/freecad.
land ahoi :D
so there is only a loss of the git history?
Even though it says "Commits (0)", if you click it they all seem to be there.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:39 pm Even though it says "Commits (0)", if you click it they all seem to be there.
Works great! I cloned the repo and built FreeCAD versioning is correct in About FreeCAD.

From this it appears that the Enterprise Edition of GitLab is necessary to automatically mirror our GitHub repo. GitLab suggests to clone/push. Given that we already clone the GitHub repo as part of Travis/AppVeyor maybe we could push from there? Not quite sure how to handle credentials securely?

Thanks again Kurt, this is a nice safety net.
"fight the good fight"
rus

Re: is this a nightmare?

Post by rus »

yorik wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:08 pm ... My opinion is that there is no reason to hurry or panic. ..

...We always thought this could happen with Github or any other platform too. So if we need to move the FreeCAD source code somewhere else tomorrow, there is virtually no difficulty. We don't depend on them, the FreeCAD source code doesn't depend on them and is safely duplicated on hundreds of computers thanks to git, we are just hosting our "public" source code address there.

But let's be vigilant!
Yorik, I agree with you that it is easy to move the source code. But github is more than a remote repository. For example It provides messaging and issue tracker. I am not sure, that you can easily move these parts too.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

For example It provides messaging and issue tracker.
Maybe thats worth 7.5 Billion. Microsoft watches the trackers and messaging, at some point they can see the current version of software is very stable and powerful, they go after the company or just take a snap-shot of the current version and integrate into there stuff.
Watch for Microsofters on the forum, they might assign a small group to each powerful program (they didn't write). Imagine what a group of programmers could learn after being on the forums for a year. Could they take Freecad and put 30 programmers on it and have their own CAD software? I presume so.....

They will wait until it's almost finished. Then take what they want and sick 100 laywers on you.

Maybe that's why I don't like them, they bring out the worst possible scenario thinking in me.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

rus wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm It provides messaging and issue tracker. I am not sure, that you can easily move these parts too.
We are not using these features, fortunately
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

What GitLab does not have is a commit counter like Github...