Feature #3254 Embed font into FCSTD file for better model exchange between different systems

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Feature #3254 Embed font into FCSTD file for better model exchange between different systems

Post by Kunda1 »

issue #3254 Wrong paths to fonts occur when you exchange models between different systems. An 'Embed' option would be useful

Original thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 05#p198775

Discussion thread dedicated for this feature. Please contribute
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Feature #3254 Embed font into FCSTD file for better model exchange between different systems

Post by chrisb »

I would appreciate the option. The linked discussion is about a certain workbench, but it occurs in core FreeCAD as well if using ShapeString.
For copyright reasons it is necessary to have the option to not include the fonts.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Feature #3254 Embed font into FCSTD file for better model exchange between different systems

Post by wandererfan »

Font files can be quite large. 250kb and up. Probably bigger than the rest of the fcstd combined.

Maybe a function to remap paths when fonts aren't found?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm Font files can be quite large. 250kb and up.
Arial.ttf is 700kB, that is a lot!

Good idea, I guess it's a common workflow (at least outside the forum) that a FreeCAD file is used only on a very limited number of systems.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Lattice's ShapeString supports relative font path. It is searched for, among other places, in project directory. So even though it doesn't embed the font into FCStd, it is easy to bundle. Does Draft offer the same - I don't know actually...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A relative path can be entered in the properties and is respected. It is not possible to select a relative path when using the file selection box.
hokieengr

Post by hokieengr »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm Font files can be quite large. 250kb and up. Probably bigger than the rest of the fcstd combined.

Is that really a lot anymore? I mean, sure, if you're running FreeCAD from hand made core rope memory but this is 2018 and my refrigerator uses more than that!

I'd suggest an option to embed the font in a given document. That way the user can decide if increasing file size is worth the reward.

I work in a very technical field and I can say from personal experience that these little things can be very important. It can be the difference between opening a file from a colleague and moving on or spending half of your day reformatting everything because the font is wrong. Heck, I'd gladly triple my Simulink model file sizes if that meant different versions would actually place nice together!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I think this has the potential for being very problematic, licensing wise. Fonts provided on Windows and macOS are not open source, an end user most certainly does not have the right to distribute them.

Adobe products like InDesign have the option to bundle fonts with a project, it's normal because this is for the publishing industry, it's a very small user base - and they pay for their fonts. Here we're talking about a wide variety of users who aren't aware of these licensing issues.

This definitely should not be enabled by default. And it would be preferable I think to offer font substitution, at least as a fallback.

wandererfan wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm Maybe a function to remap paths when fonts aren't found?
Do you mean to convert a ShapeString into a "dumb" set of curves, breaking the link to the font? Inkscape can do that. (On the other hand, this is already possible by using Draft Downgrade)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:39 pm Fonts provided on Windows and macOS are not open source, an end user most certainly does not have the right to distribute them.
That's quite an interesting problem. I can embed fonts into pdfs and such, and freely distribute the pdf. What's the problem here?

AFAIK Microsoft does allow embedding most fonts into a file.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typogr ... soft-fonts
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:48 pm AFAIK Microsoft does allow embedding most fonts into a file.
I find that FAQ confusing. This is what I'm talking about:
Microsoft's Font redistribution FAQ wrote:The fonts are governed by the same restrictions as the products they are supplied with. You are not allowed to copy, redistribute or reverse engineer the font files.
Yet embedding is allowed.

What's the difference between redistributing and embedding font files??? :?