Helix is round and not selecting like vid 08

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Helix is round and not selecting like vid 08

Post by chrisb »

Hi bejant, I guess you will not see a notification for this one:
bejant wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:54 pm @chrisb, in the forum panel (not e-mail) I only get a notification when someone quotes me.
It's because I added the quote after my first submit by editing the post.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 pm ....
I don't think you can answer without quoting. The only buttons up on the top right are "report" or the quote marks.
How do you answer without quoting?

THIS IS THE EDIT:

I HAVE DELETED YOUR REMARKS.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

bejant wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:49 pm ....
While you are in the Part Design WB, from the pull-down menu try changing Edit > Preferences > Display > Part Design > Shape View > "Maximum deviation depending..." to something less than the default 0.500% (maybe 0.1 %). A smaller value will make your model look better on the display at the expense of longer processing time.
Yes, that worked. Thanks again.

SMOOTH_INSULATION.png
SMOOTH_INSULATION.png (35.27 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:59 pm Hi bejant, I guess you will not see a notification for this one:
bbejant wrote: @chrisb, in the forum panel (not e-mail) I only get a notification when someone quotes me.
It's because I added the quote after my first submit by editing the post.
No, I got a forum notification.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

FC-Architecter wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:16 pm Yes, that worked. Thanks again.
Looks good - you're welcome.
I think you should have a grasp of the basics - why don't you try to model something for yourself?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 pm I got a forum notification.
Good to know, that makes me a bit more relaxed when editing posts shortly after submitting.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

bejant wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:20 pm ....
I think you should have a grasp of the basics - why don't you try to model something for yourself?
Good idea. I will try to when I can think of something worth modeling. I am aiming toward architecture so I don't have any engineering parts to model; but I want to learn as much as possible about all the possibilities of the software.

There are 3 more tutorials in this series, so want to try them unless they are obsolete and unworkable for version 17.

Then there are other FC tutorial series made by other people that I want to go through.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

The two different ways to model a Switch Base shouldn't be difficult because the Switch Base is a single piece. If you start the model by creating your very first Sketch while you are in the Part Design WB, a Body should automatically be created and made active before you are taken to the Sketcher WB.

After that you might want to try doing something in the Arch WB.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

bejant wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:03 pm The two different ways to model a Switch Base shouldn't be difficult because the Switch Base is a single piece. If you start the model by creating your very first Sketch while you are in the Part Design WB, a Body should automatically be created and made active before you are taken to the Sketcher WB.

After that you might want to try doing something in the Arch WB.
I got to about 8 minutes in video tutorial 09 then the trim feature would not work on the first circle.
This may have been because I had to delete the top straight line and replace it. Many of the lines were not the originals.
I had to junk the file and start over.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:38 pm I got to about 8 minutes in video tutorial 09 then the trim feature would not work on the first circle.
This may have been because I had to delete the top straight line and replace it. Many of the lines were not the originals.
That the line segments weren't the original line segments wouldn't be why the Sketcher Trim tool wasn't working.

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:38 pm I had to junk the file and start over.
Don't junk the file - you almost never have to do that. Instead, figure out why the Trim tool wasn't working, or upload your file to the forum and ask for help.
By the time you had to use the Trim tool you were almost done with the first Sketch.