one section off sketch vid 09

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FC-Architecter

Re: one section off sketch vid 09

Post by FC-Architecter »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:44 am
FC-Architecter wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:45 pm Are you saying it should be deleted
Yes, delete that horizontal constraint.

May I ask why you want confirmation for that? You could test it yourself and see that after deletion the sketch is still fully constrained.

because this contradicts the video. The constraint was still there when the sketch went green. I try to follow the videos as faithfully as I can. Can I ask how you knew that was the solution?
Attachments
CONSTRAINT_REMAINS_GREEN_SKETCH.png
CONSTRAINT_REMAINS_GREEN_SKETCH.png (115.41 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The videos where made with 0.16 and that version was more forgiving with redundant constraints in sketcher. These additional constraints frequently occured when constraints are set automatically. In those days noone cared for them if subsequent steps where successful.

With the current 0.18 Sketcher you get a warning immediately.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FC-Architecter wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:21 pm Can I ask how you knew that was the solution?
You edited your post while I wrote my previous answer.
I have seen here many sketches where the symmetry constraint was the cause of problems. I guess I have written tens if not hundreds of posts concerning these overconstraints. Today I read a post of an experienced user who omits the symmetry completely if possible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I want to add that I rate bejant's videos very high!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

The original author of Sketcher wrote: However, users have also to learn to create robust sketches. Good constraints to use are:

-Horizontal/vertical length.
-Horizontal/vertical constraint.
-Point/Point tangency.

bad constraints:
- Length.
- Edge/Edge Tangency
- Point on line
- Symmetry
Source:
https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view ... 1223#c3550
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 pm want to add that I rate bejant's videos very high!
Thanks, but I consider them obsolete now (if I could log into my YouTube account I'd probably delete them).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:31 pm Thanks, but I consider them obsolete now
Ok, I should have used the past tense. I haven't watched them in the light of 0.17.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:30 pm The videos where made with 0.16 and that version was more forgiving with redundant constraints in sketcher.
Actually those videos are from 2014 which means they were made with FreeCAD 0.14, maybe even 0.13.

Back in 2014, I was aware that the symmetric constraint could be problematic, but did not yet understand why. I hadn't figured out the possible conflicts with existing horizontal and vertical constraints. We've all learned a lot since then.

bejant wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:31 pm Thanks, but I consider them obsolete now (if I could log into my YouTube account I'd probably delete them).
You lost your password? Can't you reinitialize it?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

NormandC wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 am You lost your password?
I didn't lose it - I know what the password is. The last time I went to log in I mis-typed the password. Since that, even after answering their verification question correctly and providing them the reset code they sent to my other e-mail address, they say that they are unable to verify me. They want more information from me (and that information could allow them to more personally identify me) and I'm not yet ready to provide it.

I guess that I grew up in an era when we valued our privacy more than people seem to value privacy nowadays.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A new trick from the data octopus.