Flamingo & Dodo workbench(s) discussion thread

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ikua

Re: Flamingo (Workbench) discussion thread

Post by ikua »

update: found the menu in the pypeline editor :-).

What to you think, if the redraw button would iterate throw the whole project and update all pyplines?
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

ikua wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:01 pm What to you think, if the redraw button would iterate throw the whole project and update all pyplines?
If the model have several pypelines, the user may regret to have pushed on that button. :lol:
Another possibility is to provide a list with checkboxes of the pypelines to be updated... think I will update the dialog soon.
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

oddtopus wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 am
Another possibility is to provide a list with checkboxes of the pypelines to be updated... think I will update the dialog soon.
Done.
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

Lately I've been working on the pressure losses calculator integrated in flamingo WB to exploit more possibilities given by the python modules used therein.
It now has become a well usable tool and I guess that someone else may be interested in this stuff.
Just remember to install the python modules thermo and fluids: Herebelow are some snapshots that could be self-explaining but, in addition, there is also a fresh update of the tutorialPype3.pdf at this link.
calculated.png
calculated.png (20.67 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
fluid1.png
fluid1.png (24.69 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
results.png
results.png (19.36 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Hessed.Elohim

Post by Hessed.Elohim »

Hi, im new here (and dont know if this its the right place to ask).. can i use to go from a free-body-diagram like this:

to a structural model like this:

Can I apply charges and get the reactions and stresses in bars?

Regards

P/D: Sorry for my english level
:geek: Civil Engineer with aspirations to professional development through open source software..
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

:D I'd like to share an important goal for flamingo WB, that I aimed to from the begin.
Pype-objects now have an AttachExtensionPython property by default. This means, for example, that flanges may be attached to the edge of the tube and be automatically moved with it.
But most of all, class PypeBranch has been recoded exploiting this to link tubes and curves to the Base centerline: in this way a pipe spool that is linked to a Sketch, is automatically redrawn whenever the sketch is modified.
Attached a video with a basic example.
Screencast.mp4.zip
(896.71 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
This may soon be applied also to FrameLines.

@ickby: thank You for the great tool of Extensions. I guess this list is a little outdated for the available extensions.
Won't it be usefull also a method like ".supportedExtensions()", similar to FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.supportedTypes(), to list the extensions available for an object?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

oddtopus wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:07 pm :D I'd like to share an important goal for flamingo WB, that I aimed to from the begin.
Pype-objects now have an AttachExtensionPython property by default. This means, for example, that flanges may be attached to the edge of the tube and be automatically moved with it.
But most of all, class PypeBranch has been recoded exploiting this to link tubes and curves to the Base centerline: in this way a pipe spool that is linked to a Sketch, is automatically redrawn whenever the sketch is modified.
Ridiculously cool! Congratulations
As a favor, please up the clip to youtube or vimeo next time...it's more mobile user friendly ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

oddtopus wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:07 pm :D I'd like to share an important goal for flamingo WB, that I aimed to from the begin.
Attached a video with a basic example.
Screencast.mp4.zip

This may soon be applied also to FrameLines.

@ickby: thank You for the great tool of Extensions. I guess this list is a little outdated for the available extensions.
Hi, this looks very cools :)

I also notice minimal discussion about the 'Extension' at the same discussion thread. Anywhere to read about it and how to use it?

Thanks.
Opus

Post by Opus »

Very nice feature!
Congratulations!
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

Hi.
This summer is a productive seasons because in few weeks I satisfied two big wishes I had for flamingo WB.
After the dynamic update of the PypeBranches now I found one convenient way to insert shapes of valves, fittings, pumps or any other object from a STEP/IGES/BREP file.
Basically this new tool creates a pype object in the drawing and then load its .Shape property from one of the files stored in the /shapes directory.
This is a simple application of the Shape's method "read()" but more than this, the object is an actual pype and it inherits properties as "Ports" to locate the interfaces, "Kv" to calculate pressure losses, "nearestPort()" method etc.

To make the object available for insert in the list of the dialog, it's sufficient to copy the file (a STEP, an IGES or o BREP) in the folder ../Mod/flamingo/shapes or any of its subfolders. You can also create your own subfolders to organize the files to your taste: subfolders will be accessible from a combobox in the dialog.
Optionally you can also create a .csv file inside each subfolder (similar to those in the /tables folder: its name must begin with "Any_" and have ".csv" extension) to store the main properties of your objects. If you don't you can import in any case the shape but doing so you wiil upload directly also the Ports and Kv to use in the model. Objects that are listed in such table are called "listed", while the others are "unlisted". When you select the file in the list, the dialog will show if the object is "listed" or not.
There are few samples in /shapes that will not be further updated because this folder is intended to be populated with your own collection.
Finally the objects will be placed in the model according the geometry selected, same as other pypes: a face, a curved edge or a vertex.

Beside that it's worth to mention other two tools that I found pretty useful:
* the point-to-point pipe, which allow to draw a pipeline in the same way as a DWire
* the attach-to-tube tool, which allow to attach one pype to the nearest port of a pipe selected in the viewport. In this way a flange, a valve or a cap (or even the objects imported as above) will follow always the pipe to which they're attached.