FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by regis »

HarryGeier wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 am Looks very good..
but remember.. a visitor might see all the spectacular designs... and decide: looks too complicated.....

so...having simplicity like the single gear on the page too..is not a bad idea from my point of view
Couldn't agree more that this is also a valid point. So there can be a home screen with simple and complex software's. But also a sort of portfolio page where all the nice and great projects and screenshots will be displayed.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

A few years back we already reached a general agreement this is the way to go. What was lacking is some further design related work to be done. To finish the proposal. I feel that it's safe to say @AR795 brought that to the table. Now i guess we have to start exploring on how to turn such proposal in an actual web page. We need a coder and hopefully it won't take a few years again to reach that goal. ;) AFAIK we use Bootstrap for our current web page and therefore best to work with that. I found a nice tutorial that should enable us to have a top down continuous flow alike home page (like seen in the artwork proposal). And it also includes instructions on how to tackle mobile platforms.
phpBB [video]

Is anybody prepared to study this or a similar tutorial/documentation (or already has the needed skills) to get some results?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@AR75 I think your last one is just gorgeous. Simple design but yet it shows the complexity that is possible to achieve. And I believe your choice of what menus and icons are shown there is just perfect. And I like the colors quite a lot too.

Just two minor things IMHO:

1) The first image (the "extrusion") is from an old FreeCAD version. Someone fancies remodeling a new one?
2) The "News" item is something we need to think beforehand if we want it to be something good and dynamic. Microelly, Normand and ickby (anybody else?) are doing an awesome job on the facebook and google+ groups, they came to a new life this year, that's exactly the kind of stuff that should go there too... Maybe we can think of something easy?

One crucial question :? This is just a photoshop mockup, right? Are you comfortable coding it "for real"?

Although our current website uses bootstrap, I don't think we need to use it... These web techs come and go quicker than the frenchies got the belgians the other day... I'd say, who's gonna code chooses. The only thing I think is important is to think of how to make it translatable. Because people really like to have the website in several languages...
AR795

Post by AR795 »

yorik wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 am
One crucial question :? This is just a photoshop mockup, right?
I created this using Inkscape so that the design can be scaled to any size at will.
yorik wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 am
Are you comfortable coding it "for real"?
I can certainly give it a try, but at this point I cannot guarantee the outcome or the time required to code this as I have never worked on creating a web site before.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 am I created this using Inkscape so that the design can be scaled to any size at will.
Hard to beat that!
I can certainly give it a try, but at this point I cannot guarantee the outcome or the time required to code this as I have never worked on creating a web site before.
If you are prepared to give it a try. Basically you would have something like a single HTML file, CSS file and a folder with images. Framework like Bootstrap is likely the way to go. As you basically have header and footer area already coded on our current home page. And it works like seen in the video above (woks on mobile platforms). For now therefore you would not have to think too much about the header and footer area and could focus and try to get some results with the content area in the middle.

I looked at the video above again today and i guess that is called Parallax Scrolling:

https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_css_parallax.asp

We don't necessarily need to use this approach. As what i was trying to say is finding a tutorial that does what you are after should make things much easier to achieve.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

AR795 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 am
yorik wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 am Are you comfortable coding it "for real"?
but why not going to a Content Management System like Wordpress?
no coding, easy to use and to add contents, mobile ready and with a lot of themes...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I think since we're a python oriented project, that we have a website based on a python CMS.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

For now best if we focus on improving the design aspect of our current home page. For achieving that goal we don't need CMS. And in addition introducing CMS wouldn't help much in this regard.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The idea is just to make one simple homepage, not a full website (The rest is all hosted apps, mediawiki, mantis, phpbb...). So it doesn't make much sense to use a heavyweight structure like a CMS
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I was thinking more like how QGIS does it: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs