Ticket #3537 - Draft Edit mode not working on MacOS X (HiDPi issue)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Draft Edit mode not working

Post by chrisb »

More Mac users please to weigh in !?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

I've just tried on a friends windows machine and everything works as it should. So what I'm trying to do on a MAC was correct, it must be a bug somewhere. :lol:
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Sorry, hopefully last post on this. I've tried downloading v0.16 and this works as it should. Like I mentioned before, I noticed the anchor points to be different. in the v0.16 the anchors are much bigger compared to v0.17 making it much easier to click on.

v0.16
v0.16.png
v0.16.png (875.86 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

v0.17
v0.17.png
v0.17.png (962.66 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I didn't save the native Gimp2 files, but I still have the .bmp files, which it won't let me upload due to 'invalid extension' error. I used Paint to delete the parts that were not part of the planes. Then in Gimp2 I used the Colors -> Threshold dialog with the slider all the way to one side to make sure all the gray lines were interpreted as black lines. Then Image -> Mode -> Indexed -> 1 bit per pixel -> Convert to do the conversion (though this last step was probably superfluous after the threshold step). Then File -> Export As -> Windows .bmp (Gimp2 doesn't export to SVG unfortunately). Then I used the online svg converter, but inkscape will probably do just as good a job (never used that software).

I'm attaching planes2.FCStd, which contains the imported objects (Path objects), sketches created from those, and some DWire objects I created from the paths using one of my macros (FCBmpImport). The DWires are discretized, basically a sequential collection of points, so might not be of much use. The sketches are bsplines, but not so many per sketch, so more manageable for the editor to deal with.
Attachments
planes2.FCStd
(101.46 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mumf83 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:36 pm I've just tried on a friends windows machine and everything works as it should. So what I'm trying to do on a MAC was correct, it must be a bug somewhere. :lol:
It's of course important to know that it is not a handling issue from your side. Currently there are som eproblems with compiling FreeCAD for Mac, but as soon as they are solved you may rebump this discussion if the problem persists.

A final question: Do you use an external monitor? We had some (other) issues with those.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have checked that our versions are the same and realized that in your first post you don't have any locale information, although besides that you have the same version. So it should of course deliver the locale as well.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

It's of course important to know that it is not a handling issue from your side. Currently there are som eproblems with compiling FreeCAD for Mac, but as soon as they are solved you may rebump this discussion if the problem persists.
How do you notify people that a new version has been released so I can download it and give it ago?

A final question: Do you use an external monitor? We had some (other) issues with those.
No, I'm not using an external monitor.

I have checked that our versions are the same and realized that in your first post you don't have any locale information, although besides that you have the same version. So it should of course deliver the locale as well.
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mumf83 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 pm How do you notify people that a new version has been released so I can download it and give it ago?
there is no notification system. I'm not sure what happened to the program's check on startup if there is a newer version. There where some complaints about automatically opening an internet connection. I simply check https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre from time to time.

I had hoped for something exotic explaining the strange behaviour.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 pm
mumf83 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 pm How do you notify people that a new version has been released so I can download it and give it ago?
there is no notification system. I'm not sure what happened to the program's check on startup if there is a newer version. There where some complaints about automatically opening an internet connection. I simply check https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre from time to time.

I had hoped for something exotic explaining the strange behaviour.
Should I raise a ticket in your bug tracking software? Will allow me to follow along as well.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mumf83 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 pm Should I raise a ticket in your bug tracking software? Will allow me to follow along as well.
Yes, with a link to this discussion and a link from here to the ticket.