Ticket #3537 - Draft Edit mode not working on MacOS X (HiDPi issue)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mumf83

Re: Draft Edit mode not working

Post by mumf83 »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have to thank you, mumf, because we don't see this too often from new users: first a forum discussion, then a sensible bug report with links to and fro.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Noticing that the About FreeCAD clipboard data doesn't specify what MacOSX version FC is running on. Am I wrong?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 am Noticing that the About FreeCAD clipboard data doesn't specify what MacOSX version FC is running on. Am I wrong?
No, you are right. The FreeCAD infos I gave in the post above and the direct follow up are not shortened.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 am Noticing that the About FreeCAD clipboard data doesn't specify what MacOSX version FC is running on. Am I wrong?
No, you are right. The FreeCAD infos I gave in the post above and the direct follow up are not shortened.
I opened a ticket issue #3538 to address the About FreeCAD missing 10.13 issue.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

@chrisb - I was just messing around and I noticed this has started to work! However, I'm currently using an external monitor on my MacBook. When I move the application back to my MacBook screen it stops working. Do you think its got something to do with an Retina screen? My iMAC also has an Retina screen. Can you confirm if your MAC has a retina screen.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mumf83 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm Can you confirm if your MAC has a retina screen.
I'm not sure. Is there a place where I can look it up? The general Mac-about tells me:

Integrierter Bildschirm (Bildschirm=monitor)
13,3-Zoll (1440 x 900)
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Retina displays have higher pixel density.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display

chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:36 pm 13,3-Zoll (1440 x 900)
That's the screen size (13,3 inch) and pixel resolution. Definitely not Retina. Just a plain ordinary display like the rest of us. :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Question: issue #3537 was opened because of this thread. What's it status?

Also, in regards to Retina screens and higher pixel resolution, is there a way to compensate by making certain structures like points lines bigger/thicker in the preferences?
jmborer

Post by jmborer »

Ok guys, found the issue. It is related to the resolution.

I had the same issue when using an external monitor wich natively is 3860x2160 and I scaled it to 1980x1200 (otherwise it is too small).

When I run the native resolution, I can edit the drafted objects. When I use the scaled resolution, it doesn't work. So the issue lies somewhere in the handling of the resolution "densitity".

Hope it helps for debugging.

I also have a Macbook Pro which is able of even more resolution. I gonna test and see if the bug occurs there too.