Vid 11: Rectangle wrong plane and extra body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FC-Architecter

Vid 11: Rectangle wrong plane and extra body

Post by FC-Architecter »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13528 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 5c3f7bf8ec51e2c7187789f7edba71a7aa82a88b
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I tried to follow the video exactly.

All the sketches were placed in the xz plane.

I thought I was placing the rectangles correctly but they are parallel to the flat side of the cylinder not the round side.

I got to about minute 5:38 of the video: rolands propeller.

In addition, in tree view I see a new body was created. This is not in the tree view of the video.

I have made a save and a new file at almost each stage of the process.

Any suggestions on a repair would be appreciated.
ROLAND_PROP_FILES.png
ROLAND_PROP_FILES.png (20.15 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
video_tutorial_11_3rd_rectangle_green.fcstd
(11.82 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Last edited by FC-Architecter on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Vid 11: Rectangle wrong plane and extra body

Post by chrisb »

and here we are again: These videos are made for 0.16 and as you should have learned from all the other video tutorials you have worked through: there was no body construct in 0.16.
All of Roland's videos are 0.16 videos. I guess allmost all video tutorials on youtube are made with 0.16 unless they state explicitely 0.17.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Persistance is a virtue at times. Perhaps this is not one of those times. :lol: :lol:

Gene
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

It would make it so much simpler for others if you always provided the link to the video you are talking about.

Your title mentions vid 11. But in your post you write

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm I got to about minute 5:38 of the video: rolands propeller.
OK, so you're talking about the Learn FreeCAD Channel by Roland Frank.

But FreeCAD Lesson 11 is not a propeller, it's a bird feeder. https://youtu.be/08aFSivE3L8

Propeller is Lesson 07. https://youtu.be/petFK9wcxFY

So which one is it?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 pm All of Roland's videos are 0.16 videos.
To be precise, they were fully compatible with v0.16, but many of them were made in older versions, back to v0.14.3700 for the Turners cube.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm I tried to follow the video exactly.
You didn't.

At 3:53 Roland switches to the Sketcher. Your document's 3 identical sketches are contained in a PartDesign Body. Which means you did not create your sketches from the Sketcher: you created them from the PartDesign workbench. When in the PartDesign wb, creating a new sketch will always automatically create a Body. Sketcher will not.

At 5:19 Roland creates a horizontal distance constraint between the lower left corner of the rectangle and the sketch origin. You created a point on object constraint on the sketch vertical axis instead.

If you want to follow this tutorial, then you should stay out of the PartDesign workbench. Only switch between Sketcher, Part and Draft. Then you'll be able to follow it without change.

There is no need to start from scratch: select your sketches in the tree under the Body, and drag & drop them over the document label at the top of the Model tree (right under "Application"). Then delete the Body.
Attachments
FC017_FC-Architecter_tree_move_01.gif
FC017_FC-Architecter_tree_move_01.gif (112.31 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:51 pm It would make it so much simpler for others if you always provided the link to the video you are talking about.

So which one is it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDJq2 ... 8q&index=9
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 pm and here we are again: These videos are made for 0.16 and as you should have learned from all the other video tutorials you have worked through: there was no body construct in 0.16.
All of Roland's videos are 0.16 videos. I guess allmost all video tutorials on youtube are made with 0.16 unless they state explicitely 0.17.
Yes, I know that Body was not introduced until version 17, but I did not think I was creating a body in the file. I just appeared in my tree view. I was trying to copy exactly the video.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:43 am
FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm I tried to follow the video exactly.
You didn't.

At 3:53 Roland switches to the Sketcher. Your document's 3 identical sketches are contained in a PartDesign Body. Which means you did not create your sketches from the Sketcher: you created them from the PartDesign workbench. When in the PartDesign wb, creating a new sketch will always automatically create a Body. Sketcher will not.

At 5:19 Roland creates a horizontal distance constraint between the lower left corner of the rectangle and the sketch origin. You created a point on object constraint on the sketch vertical axis instead.

If you want to follow this tutorial, then you should stay out of the PartDesign workbench. Only switch between Sketcher, Part and Draft. Then you'll be able to follow it without change.

There is no need to start from scratch: select your sketches in the tree under the Body, and drag & drop them over the document label at the top of the Model tree (right under "Application"). Then delete the Body.
Thanks for this analysis. You obviously took time to find my mistakes.
I deleted sketch002, so I just have now what you see in the screenshot.
CURRENT_STATE.png
CURRENT_STATE.png (47.31 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
the 2 sketches below the 2nd body do not want to be moved.
I can only select one at a time and when I try to move it, I get the circle with the slash meaning no can do.

Unless I find a way to do that, it is best to go back to square one, this time mindful of your corrections.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The no-can-do sign is probably an intermediate state. Move the sketch to the root of the tree, i.e. the fileneame.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.