using Freecad in an academic environment

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mstroehle

using Freecad in an academic environment

Post by mstroehle »

Hello guys,

I've created this thread for three reasons:

- First post to be able to send Private messages
- Introduce myself and my planned contributions to the project
- Introduce my usecase scenario "using Freecad in an academic environment"

I'm 32 years old and studying mechanical engineering. I have working experience for more than 15 years. My native language is German so please
excuse my grammar :)

I hope i can contribute a lot to the project:
  • Helping to translate from English into German
  • Determining the problems during the drawing of an part as an university exercise
  • trying to solve the determined problems
I am going to update my progress recently. So this post is more a "Genesis" post than
a finished one.

Actually working on:
  • TechDraw - Template according to international standards
  • ISO1302 - Indication of surface texture
Last edited by mstroehle on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: using Freecad in an academic environment

Post by Jee-Bee »

Welcome at the forum
if you have questions feel free to ask both in german forum part or else in main help forum!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I hope you can bring the german documentation forward. Although the german subforum seems to have the most members, this isn't reflected by the number of translated pages.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mstroehle

Post by mstroehle »

Thanks for your answers. Today i decided that my starting point is the template for the TechDraw Workbench according to international standards. I finished my first translation https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/TechDra ... teHowTo/de Maybe someone can give me a short feedback about my translation. Then i can adapt my translation process if necessary.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

Looks good to me...
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mstroehle wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:42 pmMaybe someone can give me a short feedback about my translation.
You should discuss this in the german forum. I guess there is a considerable number of members who don't scan the english forum regularly.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mstroehle wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:42 pmMaybe someone can give me a short feedback about my translation.
Thanks for the translation. I have made two small changes, please have a look at the rearrangement of the first sentence.
mstroehle

Post by mstroehle »

@chrisb
ok. when my next translations are ready for a review I'm going to post it on the german subforum.
mfasano

Post by mfasano »

Hello mstroehle;

You say your studying engineering. Are you in a class that is using Freecad? Are you teaching the class and are the one that decided to use Freecad for the class?
mstroehle

Post by mstroehle »

mfasano wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:25 pm Hello mstroehle;

You say your studying engineering. Are you in a class that is using Freecad? Are you teaching the class and are the one that decided to use Freecad for the class?
Hello,

Yes I am studying mech. Eng.
No I am not in a class using FreeCAD
No I am not teaching and not deciding to use FreeCAD.

The university is using commerical cad software. For the exercises you can choose the CAD application on your own. Support is only provided for the commercial one. I try to show that it is possible to use FreeCAD in this kind of exercises.