Vid 11: Rectangle wrong plane and extra body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FC-Architecter

Re: Vid 11: Rectangle wrong plane and extra body

Post by FC-Architecter »

A question on the Fusion operation.

I do not know if it worked because the propellors are solid but the cylinder is transparent.

One thing I notice during the sweep operation is that it did not seem to be necessary to click "Sweep Path" to run the sweep. Would anyone know if this is why the cylinder is transparent and that I got extra helixes?

Also I seem to have 3 extra helixes.
3_extra_helixes.png
3_extra_helixes.png (80.69 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
video_tutorial_11_sweeps_completed.fcstd
(47.57 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

You have transparency set to 50 in the view tab for the cylinder. Change it to 0, right-click and choose mark to recompute, then F5 to refresh. That should remove the transparency.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FC-Architecter wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:34 am I do not know if it worked because the propellors are solid but the cylinder is transparent.
As TheMartkster wrote, you applied transparency to Cylinder before applying the Boolean Fuse. The Fusion keeps the colour and transparency of the original shapes. Another way to get rid of the transparency of the cylinder part of Fusion is to define a different colour than default grey.

FC-Architecter wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:34 am Also I seem to have 3 extra helixes.
You don't. Those are the 3 helixes you created and used for the Sweeps. They are just not hidden automatically by the Sweeps. Contrary to PartDesign, some Part operations don't automatically hide the objects they are based on.

Now, you haven't completed the model. ;) R-frank in his original video deletes the 2nd and 3rd sweeps and shows how to replicate them using Draft Array.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

We seem to be having a bit of a tug-of-war about which video to use. Bejant's videos are better tutorials since Roland just does things without showing them and assumes the viewer is at a more advanced level.

In bejant's video, at minute 3:47, he sets cylinder transparency at 50%. He might have done something later to change this. No, I just checked. Somehow the cylinder goes opaque during the fusion. This was long before the boolean fusion. It might be good to finish bejant's. if this is even possible given the technological changes, then do Roland's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDJq2 ... q&index=10
CYLINDER_TRANSPARENCY_SETTING.png
CYLINDER_TRANSPARENCY_SETTING.png (74.92 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Last edited by FC-Architecter on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

TheMarkster wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 am You have transparency set to 50 in the view tab for the cylinder. Change it to 0, right-click and choose mark to recompute, then F5 to refresh. That should remove the transparency.
Thanks.
CYLINDER_OPAQUE.png
CYLINDER_OPAQUE.png (30.53 KiB) Viewed 981 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FC_Architecter, can you please edit your next to last reply and fix your quote? You make it look like I wrote the whole reply, which you actually did.

FC-Architecter wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 pm In bejant's video, at minute 3:47, he sets cylinder transparency at 50%. He might have done something later to change this. No, I just checked. Somehow the cylinder goes opaque during the fusion.
I think I know why. Back when bejant made that video, the Fusion operation used to discard colour and transparency from its parent shapes. Later on, this was changed so the previously set colours and transparency would be kept in the resulting Fusion shape.
Last edited by NormandC on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FC-Architecter wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:34 am One thing I notice during the sweep operation is that it did not seem to be necessary to click "Sweep Path" to run the sweep.
I just noticed this comment. Well before bejant's video, you only needed to select the path in the 3D view. Many users were confused by this, which is why a "Sweep Path" button was added to the Sweep parameters. I wasn't even aware that the old method still worked!
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

It looks like bejant's version of roland's propeller is completed, thanks to help from NormandC, Chrisb, and Markster.

Bejant goes back and resets the transparency of fusion to 50

He also moves some of the appearance settings from 3 to 1. Strangely, I followed him, but mine were set to 2.
video_tutorial_11_bejant_propellor_complete.fcstd
(128.54 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
PROPELLER.png
PROPELLER.png (41.46 KiB) Viewed 962 times
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:48 pm Persistance is a virtue at times. Perhaps this is not one of those times. :lol: :lol:

Gene
I don't quite understand the reference of this comment.
Does this refer to the difference between the version the video tutorial and the present version of FC I am using (17)?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FC-Architecter wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:36 am I don't quite understand the reference of this comment.
Does this refer to the difference between the version the video tutorial and the present version of FC I am using (17)?
Ok, it was a snarky attempt at humor. :oops:

It was in reference to
chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 pm and here we are again: These videos are made for 0.16 and as you should have learned from all the other video tutorials you have worked through: there was no body construct in 0.16.
All of Roland's videos are 0.16 videos. I guess allmost all video tutorials on youtube are made with 0.16 unless they state explicitely 0.17.
You have been told repeatedly, including a couple of times by me, that those old videos simply will not work the same way in FC versions 0.17 and beyond. And yet you continue to ask questions about why bodies appear in your models.

Gene