FreeCAD randomly aborts when starting new PartDesign

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ModelTexan

FreeCAD randomly aborts when starting new PartDesign

Post by ModelTexan »

New user still experimenting with FreeCAD. I have tons of real-world CAD experience over the years with several programs so this isn't completely new to me.

Sometimes when I select the XY_Plane from the "Select Features" dialog when creating a new part in Part Design the program vanishes. No error messages, no Windows error messages, just the entire program halts and vanishes and leaves me with the Windows Desktop.

Anyone else seen this? Is there a setting issue or simple way to prevent this? I have seen it do it one other time when attempting to save a program but that caught me by surprise so I don't remember the situation well enough to report on that one.

My software setup is:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13522 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 3bb5ff4e70c0c526f2d9dd69b1004155b2f527f2
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
freedman
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD randomly aborts when starting new PartDesign

Post by freedman »

I use win 10 64bit. Never-ever done that. It might be interesting to open the task manager and see what what your resources look like.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi Model Texan, welcome to the forum and thanks for providing your FreeCAD info.
Haven't seen this either. Here are some things you can try:
  • Run FreeCAD from the console and watch the output after the crash.
  • You can start FreeCAD with the additional parameter -l to write a log file. This might be helpful to trace it down.
  • You may try unchecking Preferences->Display->3D View->Use OpenGL Vertex Buffer Object (4th checkbox from top). In the beginning of its implementation there were some silent crashes, but not recently.
  • You can try deleting your config files or move them for later reference.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi ModelTexan,

Welcome here.

I had the exact same issue some months ago, and deleting my config files as chrisb suggests fixed it (which is why I never mentioned it on the forum). But in my case, I had multiple FreeCAD versions installed at the same time (v0.16, v0.17) and they all shared the same config files. I'm guessing some corruption happened at some point.

But in your case, I'm puzzled that it would also happen on a fresh install.
ModelTexan

Post by ModelTexan »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll delete the config files and give that a shot. The '-1' option is definitely worthwhile and is being added to my shortcut :)

Michael
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ModelTexan wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:00 pm Thanks for the suggestions. I'll delete the config files and give that a shot. The '-1' option is definitely worthwhile and is being added to my shortcut :)
It is not '-1' (minus one) it is '-l' (minus small letter L).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ModelTexan

Post by ModelTexan »

Oh, I know it's an "l" for "log"; sometimes my browser substitutes "1" for "l" when using mathematical symbols :) Must have done that again.

I deleted the config files and added the logging option just in case. I haven't seen the crash since then and I was getting it often so I assume the config file deletion did the trick.

Thanks for the help.
Michael
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Great to know it seemed to work.
ModelTexan

Post by ModelTexan »

The problem is back only this time it fails every single time. Still investigating why. Failed six times in a row. Attempted to run from console and that worked...smh. Where is the log stored so I can check it in the future?

For now I've deleted the config files again just for good measure. I'll try to find the log next time it happens.
Glurth

Post by Glurth »

If I use any method other than
File->Open ->browse & select- I get a similar crash.
If I open it that one way, I don't.
GLURTH