Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
efyx

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by efyx »

realthunder wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 am I'll think about that.
Cool. BTW. you've done a great work! Thanks. Can not wait it will appear in official branch :)
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

efyx wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 am
realthunder wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 am I'll think about that.
Cool. BTW. you've done a great work! Thanks. Can not wait it will appear in official branch :)
+1
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 am 1) do a whole car perhaps.
Well, a whole car is obviously a far stretch, but a lot of efforts has been spent on making assembly scalable. The pending new release will introduce a new feature called partial loading. You can now freeze an assembly in some external file. Any parts or sub-assembly referenced by the frozen assembly do not need to be loaded. You can of course reload the file and unfreeze the assembly for modification.

2) do something like a fully functional elevator shaft. Details like a spooled cable reel and cable (cable could be tough), spring operated assemblies that apply pressure like a shock absorber, spring latches that move when they can, trip switches.
That requires a DOF animator, which I will be working on after the next release. More advanced animation may require some kind of simulator to generate expressions linking various free parameters.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

realthunder wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 am That requires a DOF animator, which I will be working on after the next release. More advanced animation may require some kind of simulator to generate expressions linking various free parameters.
Now this starts to sound like what i want to do.
If you export the assembly as a SDF/URDF file then you can load it directly into Bullet to run simulations

https://github.com/JMG1/FreeCAD_BulletPhysics

But i guess there is better/smarter ways to handle it.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Postby Jee-Bee » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:11 pm
I'm not a fan of fancy mates.
My experiance is that the software becomes less stable
I'd prefer a little more work than crashes

I would agree on that, BUT! I see realthunder in the zone ( I write code also), he has different concepts in mind and the code visualized, and can see all the hooks and can write code fast. At least that's what I sense. I say, let him go until he gets tired, then we can do testing and find out what won't work. It's much easier to delete or comment out than to create. He looks to be doing some really creative stuff.

We all burn out eventually, writing communication interrupt rountines always drains my super powers.

Go dude!
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Assembly 3 will be available for version 0.18 of freecad?

By the end of this year it looks like version 0.18 will be ready.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

dcapeletti wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 am Assembly 3 will be available for version 0.18 of freecad?

Don't know yet. The management hasn't responsed to my request of merging yet.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi realthunder,
realthunder wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:44 am
dcapeletti wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 am Assembly 3 will be available for version 0.18 of freecad?

Don't know yet. The management hasn't responsed to my request of merging yet.
if i remeber right, you licenced assembly3 GPL3. On sevaral other things (opencamlib as example) GPL3 license was the reason why they are not could be merged.
Gruß Herbert
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

herbk wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm if i remeber right, you licenced assembly3 GPL3. On sevaral other things (opencamlib as example) GPL3 license was the reason why they are not could be merged.
Assembly3 is licensed GPL because its only usable solver, SolveSpace, is GPL. However, I am requesting merging of my fork of FreeCAD. If it goes in, then Assembly3 can be made available in the Add-on manager.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 pm Assembly3 is licensed GPL because its only usable solver, SolveSpace, is GPL. However, I am requesting merging of my fork of FreeCAD. If it goes in, then Assembly3 can be made available in the Add-on manager.
and the @realthunder fork has many improvements, not only but also related to STEP importing/exporting, that can be merged without any License issue.
The A3 assembly functionality would be then an addon as it is DXF legacy importer.
The legacy DXF importer is in fact automatically downloaded and installed on demand by FC itself and it is not included in the deploy because of its license.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FreeCAD_and_DXF_Import
dxf-download-install.png
dxf-download-install.png (51.23 KiB) Viewed 1247 times