Gypsy - A long term personal project for fun.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Gypsy - A long term personal project for fun.

Post by triplus »

It would be way less fun if it would just work. Congratulations on finding the solution.

P.S. Sharing the solution will likely save somebody else from having the same issues you experienced.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Congratulations!

I don't generally mess with robotics, but I had to learn the basics of ROS a year or so ago for a drone simulation project. I found it challenging to wrap my head around. Still it wasn't hard to set up and get going.

I don't know if you know of it, but there's an open source robotics simulator called Gazebo (which we used for the simulation before switching to Unity3D). I doubt it would be of great use to you here, but it's really pretty neat.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
Stainless_Joel

Post by Stainless_Joel »

sliptonic wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:49 pm I don't think people use these scarabots very much and, it turns out, mine is a little bit different.
ROS does not do well on a smaller processor, but the library in the API are usually directly usable.
https://www.mrpt.org/

I designed a Polar Coordinate based control system interpreter many years back, and discovered the stacking-errors usually occur in the C++ trigonometric functions people use (almost all are 32bit fpu precision by default on most tool-chains). I re-implemented a forced 64bit fixed point version for my code, and the precision was much more consistent (albeit much slower for the path planner).

I suspect a LinuxCNC based g-code coordinate translator system will need an external interpreter or platform-specific library refactoring to force the 64bit trig, and absolute origin calculations to prevent angular errors accumulating. I am rather new to the code base, and am reading up on the design pattern right now. I have wanted to build a unique SCARA design for years, but still have a list of things to complete on my other platform's EDM sinker project ;-)

@sliptonic
Please email me, as I wanted to ask if I can use your youtube Path instructional videos at a community event. Also, If you are interested in playing within a simple fully integrated open-source control environment, I just need an address to send you a free (as in free beer) 8-axis open CNC control hardware platform our team is demoing at the Makerfaire in Seattle Aug18/19 (We will cover the shipping, as we think Path shows great potential).

The Debian OS RT kernel that runs our setup is a bit different than Machinekit, includes your work with Path toolbox, and the Pi3 disk image will be publicly available on Sourceforge after Aug15 2018 ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/microm ... pberry-pi/) . We have 2 Beta boards still available after the event, as I have already allocated 1 unit to donate to another open-source CAD/CAM developer.

Cheers,
~J~
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Good to hear you support sliptonic.
The link you provided leads to a forbidden page for us non authenticated users.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Stainless_Joel

Post by Stainless_Joel »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 pm The link you provided leads to a forbidden page for us non authenticated users.
We are still finalizing the image first-run setup scripts.
Please check again after Aug 15, and the gzipped file will be ready.

It will be a rather large download as it includes everything needed to run CNC mills/lathes, 3D printers, and laser engravers.
There is also a long list of pi2/3 specific gpu tweaks to ger VLC and flash 12 to play media.

Send me an email if you want to be the first to test the download link after the file is deployed. ;)

Cheers,
~J~
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Joel_graff wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:48 am I don't know if you know of it, but there's an open source robotics simulator called Gazebo (which we used for the simulation before switching to Unity3D). I doubt it would be of great use to you here, but it's really pretty neat.
Hey @Joel_graff
FYI relevant link: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15442
@fosselius is working on a URDF Robotics Workbench
fosselius wrote:ping
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

I am not putting any more effort into the robotcreator workbench until realthunders link/asm3 gets merged. Then it will basically be an rewrite.